TWENTY FIVE

LACEY

   "Hey, Polly Pocket was the shit," I retorted back defensively.

   "Pff, please, Pokemon was fire, it got lit at those parties," Jack argued back.

   "Jack, parties don't consist of 5 sets of 100 inventoried pokemon cards all together which then are formed into a competition. Wait, let me guess, whoever won got the last cookie, or the last caprisun...how'd I do?" I asked, grinning.

   He sighed, "that was pretty explanatory."

   I nodded a little bit, before rummaging in the box some more. We were in his garage, rifling through Jacks old things.

   I pulled out a framed photo of Jack, and his parents. They were in front of a lake, all three of them smiling as wide as they could.

   I turned to Jack, and showed him. The sad vibe that washed over his voice was noticeable, so I set the framed photo back in the box.

   "You okay?" I asked.

   "I don't spend as much time with my parents as I used to," he admits.

   I pat his shoulder in a helpful way, and then gave him a longing hug. Afterwards we come back inside his house, and i made us sandwiches, cutting both in halves.

   "How'd you know I was still five?" Jack asked.

   I glared at him, "good guess."

   "Hey, I wanna take you somewhere tomorrow," he informed me.

   "Where?" I asked, pushing his plate towards him.

   He grabbed the first half of the sandwich, "it's a surprise."

   He took a bite, and I looked at him thoughtfully. I took a bite of my own, and realized Jack was looking at me, too. It took a few seconds for me to register, and my eyes wandered somewhere else.

   "You don't have to act like you don't like me," he burst out.

   I glanced at him, "I don't like you...at least not that way."

   "Why are you getting all fidgety?" He inquired.

   I stopped my hands from playing with each other, and stood up straight from leaning against the counter. I still do have some feelings, but he's been such a good friend.

   "You're dating someone, it's only better if I seem like I don't like you," I explained.

   "Sometimes you don't do a very good job."

   I shoved his shoulder playfully, and took a couple more bites of my sandwich. After all was cleaned up it was only two thirty pm; a nap was definitely needed.

   I snuggled into the guest bathroom's bed, and my head hit the pillow as I adjusted. The door was closed, and locked, because it was just a thing that made me sleep better. Soon my eyelids were closing slowly, but surely, and I fell asleep

( )

chapter twenty five: march 4, 2016
edited: june 19, 2017