|4|

Jasmine
[Day 23, November 15th]

The Market Place Blues

As we drove to the kingdom, I felt anxiety rise up in me. Why was I feeling this way? It was like I was drowning and the shore was three feet away, my body to sluggish to make it. I watched out the car window trying to calm my nerves. I hoped it was just because I was in a new land. I saw the streets littered with people and market stalls.

Jasmine: "Ms.Betty, how come there are so many people and stalls out? Is this a normal thing?", I was curious by nature and couldn't help watching in awe at all the children running and the parents bartering with stall owners.

Betty: "No, it's not a everyday thing but today is Sunday, which is market day. Everyone can open a stall and sell whatever they please, as long as it fits the guidelines of Parisih. I generally sell the cured meat I make from my catch in the forest here. But the poachers are taking advantage of the docile creatures and now their numbers are diminishing.", I felt a pang in my heart from that. I loved animals and to hear that someone was killing them needlessly was saddening. Ms.Betty parked the car somewhat sideways on the side of road closest to the food stalls. The smell of bread and honey was all at once pleasing and overwhelming. I smiled as a little girl ran passed me, her sister following after her.

Betty: "Jasmine the castle is this way. Come along and try not to get lost in the midst of the chaos.", Her voiced crackled a bit as she laughed when a few kids ran past her legs. I smirked and followed after her, observing all that we passed by. As we were walking, I kept hearing gossip from various stalls about the Court Game starting today. What the hell was that? It sounded like the movie the Hunger Games. I imagined the hunger games happening in a courthouse for some reason. I couldn't stop the laughter from bubbling up and soon I was holding my stomach, the image killing me. Ms.Betty stopped to look at me, a questioning look on her and her eyebrow slightly raised.

Jasmine: "I'm sorry, I just thought of something crazy is all. What's a Court Game Ms.Betty?", I asked her after I was able to finally recover from my laughing fit. She placed her hand on her chin, gripping it in thought.

Betty: "Well, a Court Game is like a dating game of sorts. A group of women are selected by the advisors of the Twin Kings, generally based on their looks. The Kings pick a select few depending on how they answer the Twins personal questions. They choose a "Princess" whom is the woman they like the most, who instead of staying in a room with all the other women, will stay in the adjoining room of their chosen King.Then throughout a period of a year, the women vie for the Kings affections. Throughout the year, the Kings allow each of their contestants to experience life as Queen. Which means dealing with the politics, the citizens, and the welfare of the entire kingdom. It's actually a lot to handle, I'm surprised that the Court Game is being held. King Laurent had only just lost Queen Jessica. It must be killing him for the advisors to be forcing this.", I could hear the sympathy and pity in her voice. I had a disgusted look on my face. It sounded like a bunch of greedy females trying to trap some Kings to make sure their lives were set. And the Kings didn't sound much better to me.

Who the in hell held a competition for their love?! That isn't something that is won, it's supposed to be earned. I felt happy at the fact that I wasn't from here, I couldn't imagine being in something so medieval and ridiculous.
We continued towards the castle, I was a little apprehensive about meeting the Kings now.

I was so lost in my thoughts, that I wasn't paying attention and bumped into a little girl who had been running. I quickly leaned down to help her back up and apologize but as soon as her face looked up, the apology died on my lips. I was staring into grape lollipop eyes and I felt time stop as the image of the child from the plane burst into my view. Tears fell from my eyes as the little girl scurried off to find her mother. I just kneeled there on the cobblestone floor, silently crying for the child. Why did she affect me so much? I shook myself out of the painful memories and got up to find Ms.Betty.

Jasmine: "Damnit I can't believe I lost her", I muttered lowly, searching through the rows and rows of stalls. Ugh, this was crazy, getting lost cause I had a inexplainable guilt about the lollipop child. All of a sudden, I felt my face being turned to look a beautiful woman in her eyes. Her creamy white skin was flawless and she wore a rich garb of red and grey that she filled out completely. I heard her whisper "you're perfect" and I yanked back from her.

Jasmine: "What the fuck lady?!", I angrily inquired but she just ignored me, putting her hand up in the air as though she was signaling for something. When a castle guard came forward, she simply said "this one" and walked off. Another guard appeared and I felt the flight or fight response in my body. I turned to run but before I could, the guards grabbed me by both arms.

Jasmine: "Wait, let go of me!", I screamed as the guards picked me up and carried me to the Castle. I heard the chatter of everyone around me saying oh look another one and how lucky. I saw sneers and looks of disgust from nearby women. What the hell was going on. I was pushed into a crowd consisting of absolute beautiful women. What the hell was going on?!
I heard a arousing, deep French dripped voice boom out.

King Laurent: "Welcome to Les Rois Jumeaux Castle, where only 4 of you will be staying for a year. And two will be staying forever.", I looked up from where I was standing at where the oddly familiar voice was coming from, and saw standing on a grand stage a gorgeous caramel colored man decked out in royal red and golds, whom sort of reminded me of the beautiful woman from the plane. His eyes roamed down and stopped on me, which caused my breath to hitch. Fore what I saw before me was chocolate pool eyes and a head full of intricate twists. Just like my dream.