Chapter 40

A soft groan left my lips as I rolled over in my bed to silence the incessant whining of my alarm. As soon as I hit my alarm I rolled onto my back, a yawn escaping as I stared at the ceiling while trying to wake up. Slowly blinking the sleep out of my eyes, a smile inched its way onto my lips as I began to realize what today was and why I was getting up early. Today's Sasuke's birthday.

Flinging the warm blankets off of me, I quickly got up from bed to get dressed and get to work. I just hope my effort will pay off. Tying my hair up into a high ponytail, I made my way hastily to the front door upon hearing the doorbell ring. A soft smile spread on my lips as I opened the door to see Itachi holding a couple of plastic grocery bags with the things I needed for this evening.

"Thanks so much for doing this for me." I grabbed a bag out of his hand so he wouldn't have to carry them all. "Come on it." I smiled as I made my way for the kitchen, Itachi following in tow.

"No need to thank me. It is for my dear little brother after all." A slight smirk crossed Itachi's lips as he set the rest of the bags on the counter before taking a seat at the kitchen table as I started to put them away. "Have you called him yet?"

"No, but I sent him a text. I don't want to bother him until after he's done with breakfast with your parents." Itachi gave me a slight nod, watching in amusement as confusion flashed over my features upon me pulling out a dark fabric from one of the bags. "What's this?" Itachi's smirk widened as I unfolded the dark blue cloth, noticing the black frills that lined it and the Uchiha symbol on the middle of the chest.

"Just a little present for Sasuke."

"Really? An apron?" I gave him a skeptical look.

"If you really want to make an impact I'd suggest cooking in nothing but that." My face erupted in a fiery heat as I attempted to glare at Itachi.

"You just love to mess with me, don't you?" Itachi shrugged, still looking more than amused.

"You're dating my little brother. It's sort of my job." A soft smiled replaced the smirk on his lips as he stood from the table and approached me. "Good luck with tonight." Itachi's smile grew as he reached out and ruffled the top of my hair while getting a small sound of protest in response.

"Thanks, I guess." I pouted as I tried to fix my hair, causing Itachi to mess it up again before me showed himself out. That jerk.

A little huff left my lips as I went back to putting up the groceries that I didn't need right away. Once all the bags were out of the way, I brought out the cookbook in order to get a start on Sasuke's birthday meal. I flipped through the pages, finding the entree I wanted to make since it would take the longest.

Reading the instructions diligently, making sure I don't screw anything up, I grabbed a cutting board from the drawer since I needed to cut and hollow out the tomatoes. A slight look of disdain crossed my features as I picked up the apron Itachi left behind on the counter so I could but the cutting board down since it was in the way.

I looked over the fabric skeptically, feeling the soft texture under my fingertips. Wearing it probably would make Sasuke happy... A heavy sigh left my lips as I unfolded the apron and slipped it on, the dark blue fabric hugging my body as I tied the straps into a bow behind my back. A soft smile spread on my lips as I mused the thought of looking like a common housewife. Shaking the thought from my head, I quickly got to business since I knew all this cooking would take me awhile.

Pots and pans littered the stove as the oven preheated. Hamburger sizzled in the pan, the pot next to it bubbling with simmering tomato paste, as I measured and added the correct spices. I had to pay extra attention while using the cutting board, making sure I wouldn't nick myself with the knife or lop a finger off.