Chapter 36

Naruto came staggering into the room a short while later, giving me a chance to get out of Sasuke's grasp. I quickly fled the room, pushing pass a confused and inebriated Naruto on my way. My heart was beating radically and I felt a strong urge like I was going to throw up. I need some fresh air...

A heavy sigh left my lips as I stepped foot outside, feeling the cool ocean air on my kin and the sand between my toes. The moon was the only thing lighting the beach, along with thousands of stars, and the only sound was coming from the waves coming and receding on shore. It was surprisingly calming.

Walking further onto the beach, my eyes caught sight of a figure sitting down by the shore. Venturing closer, I recognized the red hair, shining under the moons light, as he sat picking up a handful of sand and watched it fall through his fingers. His sea foam eyes turned towards me, noticing my presence. I gave him a soft smile as I came closer until I was standing beside him.

"Couldn't sleep either?" He observed me for a moment before looking back out at the sea with a slight nod. Taking that as an invitation, I sat down beside him. Gaara spared another glance at me once I sat, not seeming to mind my intrusion very much. I brought my knees up to my chest, hugging them closely to my body as we watched the waves for a while in silence. "So... How do you know Naruto?" I tried my luck, getting tired of the dead silence. Though, it seems like my attempt was futile since Gaara didn't even bother to acknowledge me.

"... Our fathers know each other." Gaara spoke after a while, nearly startling me with the delayed response, as he continued to play and stare at the sand in his hand. "We're both the sons of mayors so we understood one another." I looked over at Gaara, slightly shocked. I never would have guessed that he was Suna's Mayor's son. It seems like everyone I meet has some sort of important connection. I kind of feel bad for not knowing that in the first place.

"O-Oh..." I felt my cheeks get warm, out of embarrassment, not knowing what to say. Gaara watched me closely, raising a nonexistent brow, as if he was amused.

"You didn't know that?"

"N-No. Sorry." Gaara let out a huff of air that could constitute as a short laugh, making my cheeks get warmer.

"It's fine... Actually, it's kind of nice having someone not know who I am." He replied softly, his tone hollow. I figured a change of topic would probably be a good idea if I still wanted him to talk with me.

"Do you mind me asking what your tattoo means?"

"... Love." My body stiffened the moment the word left his lips. He glanced at me noticing my tense posture. Seriously, what are the odds of that? The world must hate me. "Not that it's any of my business, but does that have something to do with the real reason you're out here?" I swallowed, my throat feeling abnormally dry again, as I tried to figure out how I should answer him. Gaara watched me intently, fueling his own curiosity.

"Y-Yes..." I managed to croak out. Gaara just remained silent, waiting for me to continue, as I hesitated on what I was going to say next. Though, I figured this would probably be best for me if I talked about this with someone so it doesn't fester and eat away at my mind while slowly driving me crazy. "Sasuke told me that he... loves me. I sort of panicked and here I am." I released a heavy breath I didn't even realize I was holding.

"Don't feel the same?"

"I don't know. No one has ever told me that before... Plus, I don't even know what love feels like. Sasuke's the only person I've ever been with..." Gaara gave me a short nod, as if understanding. "... Do you love Kimiko?" Gaara's body stiffened, a red hue crossing his cheeks, as he quickly looked towards me in shock trying to comprehend if he heard me right. His eyes narrowed at me as a laugh escaped my lips at his embarrassed features. He was rather handsome when he dropped his mask of indifference. "Sorry. I thought I would ask to see if you could possibly explain the feeling to me." Gaara let a little 'tch' pass his lips as he looked back out at the ocean, still embarrassed.