Chapter 22

"You ready?" Sasuke asked as I made sure I had all of my homework and the books I needed. I let out a soft sigh as I zipped up my bag.

"Yeah... I guess." I was a little apprehensive to go since this is the first day of school after that whole incident at the dance.

"Don't worry. I'll be there with you the whole time." Sasuke said trying the reassure me. To be honest, that's what I'm sort of worried about. I doubt his fanbase will stop torturing me until they get me away from him.

The car ride was remotely quiet, besides the radio playing, and we got to the school pretty fast. Though that's just because of Sasuke's radical driving and his disinterest in stopping for yellow lights. I felt my stomach drop once we pulled into the parking lot, not because of Sasuke's driving... well some of that played into it, but because of Naruto, Lee, and Kiba waiting for us like always. I haven't talked to Kiba since I ran out on him at the dance... What am I even supposed to tell him...?

"Good morning!" Naruto greeted us, enthusiastic as ever, as we got out of the car. I glanced at Kiba and he just had a blank expression on his face as he watched us. I swallowed down the lump in my throat before muttering out a 'Morning'. As we went to walk up to the school Kiba ended up grabbing my arm and pulled me behind everyone.

"Hey. Can we talk?" I felt so nervous as I looked into his brown eyes. I still don't know what I'm going to tell him...

"Is there a problem?" I turned to see Sasuke with his arms folded over his chest. He was giving Kiba a glare as him, Naruto, and Lee waited for us.

"No. You guys go on ahead... We'll catch up to you in a bit." I quickly said before Kiba could say anything. The last thing we needed was them getting in a fight before school. It was apparent on Sasuke's face that he didn't like this idea. But Kiba deserved some sort of explanation. "I'll be fine." I tried to reassure Sasuke. He let out a sot sigh in defeat.

"Fine. But make it fast. Class is about to start." Sasuke said, his glare never faltering, as him, Naruto, and Lee continued walking to the school.

"Let's go somewhere more... private." Kiba said gesturing to the few students around making their way to the school. I just nodded my head and followed him to the bleachers on the football field. No one was around since now it was starting to get colder P.E. was being held in the gym more. I took a seat next to him. The coldness of the metal bleachers seeped through my jeans and gave me the chills. "So..." Kiba starts, absently minded, staring at him lap as if he was trying to find the right words. A slight frown crossed my lips as I looked at him. He looks so uncertain like this has been eating away at him for a while.

"Kiba-" Kiba cut me off as he finally turned to look at me.

"Just listen for right now, ok?" His eyes were full of determination. I opened my mouth, as if to say something, but quickly shut it and nodded my head. "I don't know what it is about you... I've never been attracted to a girl that's quite like you... Maybe it's because of how your eyes sparkle with excitement and curiosity since the world is so new to you. But the point is I like you and not for the reasons everybody believes or says...." Kiba let out a sigh. "I just don't get why you'd put yourself through all of this crap just to be around him. Hell, I don't even know why he's taken an interest in you for that matter." I looked down towards my lap. "Wait-Sorry... I didn't mean-"

"I know what you mean..." I said interrupting him. "To be honest I don't know that either..." It went silent for a moment.

"So... Are you two... together?" His voice showed his uncertainty of wanting to know the answer. I shook my head while still looking down at my lap.

"I don't know..." The school bell sounded, breaking through the air. Great. That means we're late... Kiba let out a sigh.

"One last question, then I'll let you go." I looked over at him and nodded. "... Do you like Sasuke?" As soon as his brown eyes met with mine I looked away. I just couldn't bring myself to look at him. I mean he just got done telling me how he likes me... So how in the hell am I supposed to answer that? I don't want to hurt Kiba and I don't want to lose our friendship. I bit my lip before I slowly nodded my head. I heard a sigh escape Kiba's lips. "I had a feeling that you did..." I didn't bother looking at him as he stood up. "Well... I'll always be here if it doesn't work out between you two." I looked up at Kiba slightly shocked. He's not mad at me...? Kiba smiled as he offered me his hand. I could feel tears start to form in my eyes as I took his hand. "Friends?" He questioned as he helped me up.