Final Words

That night I had a nightmare.

Jack and Kale were both in it, dressed as devils. They chased me for what seemed like hours and when they finally caught me they pinned me down and... then I woke up thankfully.

For once my alarm did some good.

I sat up in my bed but then realized it was Saturday so in the end I was pissed at my alarm for waking me up for no reason. I groaned, my face hitting the pillow. I couldn't go back to sleep though, I'm one of those people that can't go back to sleep once woken up. I rolled over in my bed, my hand reaching for the play-station remote.

I turned on my system and watched Tokyo Ghoul until about eleven o'clock and then decided to do some online stuff. I took a break a few hours later and checked my phone.

I had two messages, I scowled, thinking it was from Jack but instead it was my father. Warning bells were going off in my head, he never texted me this much. I thought he had forgotten that he even had a daughter. Did someone steal his phone and messaging me? Was he drugged up? What drugs made someone do this?

Good morning baby girl. I love you, please stay safe.

I miss you... hope you're doing well.

My brows knitted, "What is wrong with you?" I muttered. Dad never cared about my well being before. All this nice act was starting to annoy me. Like, why couldn't you act this way before?

I debated on whether or not I should bring this to mom but decided against it. I didn't want to stress her out whit his bullcrap. I shook my head, and put down my phone just as it vibrated in my hands.

I pulled up the message.

I hope you're having a great day, love. Daddy loves you and I'm sorry for everything I didn't do when we were a family. I have many regrets but you are not one of them, even though it seemed like it. I hope one day you and your mother can forgive me for all that I've done and haven't. I know I wasn't the greatest father to you and I wish I was. I see all my faults and I hate myself for disappearing on you and coming back only to show you evil. I know I should have been there more for you... I'm sorry I missed your first birthday and all the others that followed. I'm sorry for all the wrongs. I'm sorry for making your mother and you cry and for causing you harm. I know I don't deserve forgiveness but I truly apologize.

I clenched my jaw and fought off the stupid emotions that was surfacing because of his message. Dad is an asshole... he always was. He wasn't even there for my birth, he hit mom all the time, he leeched off of her money, and when I did see him he would hit me. Now he wanted to apologize? After all this time? He wants us back in his life now?

My fingers shook as I tried to come up with a reply. I must have took to long because he messaged me again...

I know I don't deserve to ask you that. So.... I'll leave you be. I know you will be a beautiful young lady and do great in this world. I wish I could've seen you just one last time... I wish that I could've been able to see you get married... I wish I could've been called a grandfather one day... I wish for so many things but it's to late for it now. I love you Choca and again, I apologize for the wrongs I've committed to you and your mother. Please tell her that I love her, I know I didn't show it but I do. I love your mother so much. She's my first love, ever since we were children, I've loved her. But I know you won't believe that considering how I mistreated her. I'm a stupid man and I don't deserve forgiveness, I know that... but please pass on my message.

Wait.... wait. I reread the last message over and over. His word choices bothered me 'wish' 'could've' 'one last time' 'to late'. My heart dove down and I stood up fast and started pacing the room as I texted back.

Dad... are you alright?

I waited five minutes and still no response.

Dad?

Are you okay?

I nervously laughed, "This isn't funny. If you're trying to scare me then you need to stop."

I dialed the number but it ran through to voicemail. I called two more times and finally I was answered. I sighed in relief but then anger flooded me.

"What is wrong with you?" I snapped, "Are you try-"

"Hello?" A woman's voice answered.

The Fu- "Who is this?" I asked, fury radiating through me.

"Hi, I'm Doctor Collins from the Austin State Hospital."

I blinked, "What?"

"Are you Choca? Darius Thomas's daughter?"

"Y... yes... what's going on?"

"I'm sorry to inform you that your father has passed.... I apologize for not answering your first few calls. We tried everything we could but at his last moments he wanted to make sure you received his message."

I was silent, my mouth loose. A part of me couldn't believe this stranger... dad was just here. This isn't reality... this isn't right. People don't just disappear this fast... right?

"Hello?"

"...hm..." I responded weakly.

"I am sorry for your loss. I'd like to go over the proper proce-"

I hung up the phone, my hand dropped to my side, the phone slipped from my hands, and I covered my mouth, my forehead creasing as I breathed into my palm unsteadily, my eyes blurring with tears.