Into The Dark

"Six people?"

The zombie girl said, her voice empty. I'd say she should be more cheery but it just wouldn't fit right in this situation.

Alison nodded, "Yes ma'am."

"That'll be eighteen dollars."

Before Alison could pull out her wallet Kale pulled out a twenty from his pocket. "Here. My treat this time." He said but then turned to Jack, "You'll pay next year."

"Whatever, man."

I mean shit, I could've payed for myself but if yall insist...

The zombie girl reached across the table set out and grabbed three tiny flashlights. "Return them at the end of the trail, please. Don't lose it."

"Why three?" I asked, my face scrunching up.

The zombie girl slowly turned to me, obviously not liking the fact I just asked her a question. "There's six of you, three for a pair. Also, since it's a large group you will depart two minutes apart."

"Pair?" I asked.

Alison suddenly came to my side, "Don't worry about it, Listen, me and you can be a pair-"

"No, I wanted to be with her." Ria interjected.

The zombie girl rolled her eyes.

"Me and Jack will go first." Beth said and the two went while we were focused on who went with who. While zombie girl dealt with them, I dealt with Alison and Ria.

I groaned, "I'll go with Ria."

Alison's face turned up on me, "No."

My brows scrunched, "What is your problem."

Her eyes flickered to Kale before landing back on me. "I'm with you."

"You have two minutes to decide." Zombie girl said.

I turned to Kale who was staring at his shoes, I said "Well, I don't wanna pair up with you."

"Too bad." said Alison.

Sorry Alison, but you're annoying and controlling. "I wanna team up with Ria." I pressed.

Alison's nose flared. "No, you're with me."

Ria had gone quiet but then suddenly said, "How about me and you team up, Ali."

My jaw snapped open, "What! Why?"

Ria smiled at me apologetically, "Sorry, I can't be with a guy. Morgan would kill me, even if it is Kale. Bae's pretty jealous and uhm... I want to gossip with Ali."

"No way." Alison suddenly said, "Choca and I need to go together."

Ria rolled her eyes, "Ali, just let it go for now...." She whispered something in Alison's ear that I couldn't hear but whatever it was made her concede.

My lips curled,  I gave Kale a side-long look.

Alison sighed long and heavy, "fine... but Kale...." Her words trailed off but I could feel the warning in her voice.

Why was she always threatening him? God. I don't get her and Kale! What was wrong with him? He didn't seem fazed that no one wanted to be with him but was it bothering him inside? Maybe we were being a little mean here... he's kinda like the social reject no one wanted on their dodge-ball team.... like me all those years ago.

I sighed. "Sorry Kale, we must sound horrible."

"Believe me, I don't care." He said, nonchalantly.

Zombie girl suddenly spoke loudly, "Next group!"

Alison just kind of stared at us with a sour face. Well, it's not my fault. She rolled her eyes but eventually went with Ria into the shadowy entrance.

Kale and I were quiet until it was our turn. I nearly ran away five times but I wanted a two week grace period. Kale held the light in front of us as we entered the entrance. The light only lit a foot in front of us. It was the shittiest flash light I've ever laid eyes on.

It wasn't even a minute into the forest when I heard leaves crunching and groans weaving through the trees. My skin crawled at the terrifying sounds, my body involuntarily getting closer and closer to Kale. I was kinda mad at how calm he seemed, he looked even bored.

Two screams- Alison and Ria- filled the night air suddenly. I froze, chills ran down my back and I was dying to turn back. Kale had taken a few steps before turning back to me.

"You coming or staying?"

I hurriedly made my way to him.

"This is so stupid." I said through gritted teeth. My heart was pounding at a fast, steady pace.

"Yeah."

I didn't have time to pay attention to Kale's mood swings, I was still trying to find it in myself to stay calm. "This is ten minutes?"

"Yup."

I shook my head, annoyed and frightened. I envisioned the path to be a straight line... no.... it weaved and turned, and had assholes trying to scare people.

Crunch.

My blood chilled. The noise sounded like it was right next to me. My heart was trying to beat its way out of my chest at that moment as I heard a low growl. I screamed. I admit it, I screamed and my feet pounded against the ground as I sprinted away. I didn't even know I had it in me, I think I heard Kale call after me. I don't know. I was gone! Gone like the wind!

***

Kale sighed as he watched Choca sprint to the forest. He called after her more than once and even started to run after her. Was he afraid? No. Not even close. He knew everyone that was in this haunted event and the layout.

But Choca was not following the path.

It was nighttime, he could barely see, and she had run off faster than he expected. But he sure heard her and to heighten her fear the 'zombies' stationed around the forest were following her.

A soft laugh escaped his lips.

It was kinda funny.

It was until she stopped screaming abruptly.

"Choca!" He yelled.

***

I breathed in the dirt...

Then spit it out and pushed myself up. My arm was burning bad.

One minute I was running from the effing apocalypse, the next I was tripping over my damn feet and face planting into the earth. See? I'd die. I'd be one of the first to die.

"Choca! Where are you?" I heard Kale yell. He wasn't that far from me.

But I'll be damned if I say something and give away my location to these freaking asshole zombies. I stood up, holding my hurt arm and started to sneak my way back to Kale. I saw light sweeping left and right a few feet in front of me.

He called out again.

"Kale!" I whispered loudly.

"Choca?"

I looked left to right before sprinting to him, I guess I sprinted to fast and to hard (boy that adrenaline is something else) because I rammed into him, almost knocking him over but he caught my weight- grunting in the process.

I buried my face in his chest, my arms wrapped tightly around him, and my entire body shook. I don't think I've ever been this terrified before in my life. To my surprise Kale hugged me back.

I closed my eyes, feeling safe in his arms.

"It's okay," he whispered, rubbing my back. "Just stay with me and I'll..."

Kale hesitated but eventually said, "don't run off again."

I held him tighter... I am seriously feeling some deep, forbidden feelings that I did not want to feel. I pulled back long enough to look him in the eye... and then his flashlight went dead.