Chapter 49: Cassio's Endless & Evil & Endlessly Evil Exposition

Start from the beginning

Kim remained silent, because that actually sounded kind of cool.

"Willow used to talk in her sleep about you," Cassio continued. "Things that made no sense to me. She would plead with you in her dreams, Take me with you, take me back to your world. It never even occurred to me that there were other worlds. That there were other realities besides KKHollywood. But with some coaxing, Willow told me everything about you. About the world you come from. And the extremely talented and handsome boys who reside there. Boys like Zayn Malik--"

"--It's pronounced MAL-ik, not muh-LEEK."

"...And Justin Bieber. And Dylan O'Brien. And Tyler Oakley. And so many others. I learned of these celebrities and realized that men had been sidelined in this world. We were at best an afterthought. Where were the supremely handsome and talented boys in KKHollywood? They didn't exist! The men here were all boring and powerless and useless. So I harnessed the power of K-Stars and began to experiment on the men here. I tried to improve them, make them better than they were. Make them more magical and awesome. But my attempts were less than successful. Brandon Marlo was one of my early experiments. You saw what happened to him. That's when I realized I had been thinking about it all wrong. The perfect men already exist, why not just use the magic of K-Stars to open a portal, and bring through as many of your handsome celebrity boys as I could?"

"Well your assumption that men are somehow of higher calibre in my world is flawed from the start," Kim said. "And besides that I have to say your plan apparently failed spectacularly. I don't know what you did to them once you transported them here but the boys in your squad are all melty and misshapen and gross and not cute AT ALL."

Cassio bowed slightly, conceding Kim's point. "We used up all the K-Stars bringing the male celebrities here. And then we had, what, a few dozen boys. They were very charismatic and talented boys, but they were also terrified and frightened of this new world. They were not as open to my plan as I'd hoped they'd be. And even if they had been, it was hardly an army. It was barely enough to even make a dent in the non-existent male coolness factor of this world." Cassio held his hands out to the boys laying on the stone altars. "So we cloned them!"

"Wait those are clones, those aren't my boys?" Kim asked.

"Oh no. Your boys are locked up in cages in another cave. Safe until I need them for more cloning. No, the problem we ran into, you see, was there was not enough magic left in the world to ensure the sanctity of the cloning process. Try as we might, we could only create flawed versions. Melty and misshapen, as you say. We had used all the ambient magic of the world to get that far, but we were stuck, unable to continue, until you ascended to power and became the #1 celebrity. Once that happened, I knew your magic would be just what we needed to finish the work of the Foundation for Celebrityship. But then there was another problem."

A pit opened up in Kim's stomach. "There was a spell preventing me from becoming the #1 celebrity. And you didn't know who had created it."

"Exactly!" Cassio said. "I had NO idea! Luckily you solved that mystery for me. Imagine my surprise when I learned that my own wife had been working secretly against me all along. In order to protect you."

Kim was horrified. Cassio's words washed over her in sickening waves. She had been so sure Willow had created that spell out of jealousy, to prevent Kim from ascending to the #1 spot because it interfered with her own career plans. But Willow had risked her life, risked her marriage, risked her brand and all her future career prospects, in order to protect Kim. And Kim had betrayed Willow's trust, betrayed Willow's love.

Willow had been trying to protect the world, and Kim, unwittingly, had brought it closer to destruction, and sacrificed Willow's safety in the process.