Chapter 30: Japan

We stopped in midair on one of the stations of the International Isolation Defense Grid in Japan.

Almost all of the countries in have them to prevent invasion from almost any country. The grid system is controlled by a super intelligent A.I network owned by the GA, called the World Marshal, who controls all of the grid stations A.I of all of the countries.

The grid station of each country is called an Hive. Each Hive, either stationed in land, air or sea, is a integral part of the grid.

Their integrated supercomputers are updated with the latest updates of the world's armed forces, it can see the updates in a countries arsenal down to a single military base.

Each Hive is operated by robots; they utilize the information to build and improve their defenses and conduct virtual reality training. The robot are humanoid and can operate vehicles.

They can discriminately eliminate a invading force.Even five of them is almost impossible to destroy. In the world, there are 50 of them.

Only commercial and trading vehicles are allowed to pass through.

We landed one of the Hive's platform. This Hive is a tall pyramid-like structure, with platforms on each level of the pyramid.

The lower platform we landed on is supported by five columns that reaches the seabed.

On the levels there is bustling activity. Robots making weapons, robots repairing drop-ships and hover-planes and many more.

A group of armored robots entered the plane,with human-like faces.

"Step aside, be calm, we will scan for threats." one of them talked with a monotonous robotic voice with a thick Japanese accent.

We walked out of the hover-plane.

I observed the Hive, the robots in the Hive are working to no end. A attack dropship landed on the Hive. I smell the sea breeze in the air.

"Scan finished, you're next. Please stand still." one of the robots commanded.

They scanned us with blue lasers from their eyes.

"Finished, now you can enter." one of the robots addressed.

We entered the hover-plane, and we ascended to the skies. Then we accelerated to Japan.

We arrived at the Osaka International Airport. Osaka is one of the most affluent prefectures of Japan. Our other overseas headquarters is here. I walked out of the plane, the outside is cold, even if its just 20 degrees celsius, because I'm used to warmer climates.

I entered the airport building. My stomach rumbled.

I decided to go to the one of the cafe's on the airport. I bought sushi, and one of those rice bowl meals, and of course, my classic favorite beverage:iced tea.

I sipped the iced-tea. It tastes horrible that I almost spat it out. The taste is literally tea with ice, unlike the sugary sweetness of the powdery iced-tea back home.

Later, a pale, Japanese man with a face mask, a goatee and a black eyepatch approached me on the table.

The only unsettling about him is his brown eyes have a subtle, blood red glow and his face almost looked like mine.

Almost.

"Can I sit here?" he asked in fluent English.

I'm surprised, despite being Japanese, he spoke like a Westerner.

"Sure, why not?" I invited."Can you have my iced-tea?"

"Sure."

Later, we started a conversation with each other. His name is Tadashi Takeshi.

He gives me advice about Japanese etiquette. Then, he orders a extra large bowl of udon noodles and a bottle of sake.

We talked about our lives in the military. He served in the Japanese Self Defense Forces.

We both mutually refused to reveal about our current occupations in fear of conflict between our companies.

All I know is he is now working in a mercenary organization. We talked about the military, politics, economics and world events.

His order came exactly when I have finished my meal. Instead of pouring the wine bottle of sake in the ceramic glass, he drinks it directly from the bottle.

I learned that he claims himself as a modern-day samurai.

Since his service in the military, he followed the bushido code in everyday life. He told me that he is a very skilled fighter.

After his service in the military, he practiced with traditional Japanese weapons. His favorite melee weapon is the Nodashi which is a long bladed katana. I told that my favorite melee weapon is my custom combat knives.

He questioned the tactical practicality of my weapon. I questioned back because swords are severely outdated in this day and age.

I realized that he had finished a large bottle of a alcoholic Japanese drink by himself when I was going to ask him if I can try that.

Still he didn't look drunk, like a normal person who had drunk a incredible amount of glasses of rice wine.

Maybe he has a inhuman amount of tolerance for alcoholic beverages, or, he is always drunk. I chose the latter.

Or maybe I'm extremely lightweight? Who knows?

We told jokes, mostly military related so only we, veterans understand. We ate our breakfast. The conversation lasted longer than expected.

The conversation lasted to 10:46 am.

I felt like his best friend, brothers even. But I know that this mutual feeling is temporary. After this chitchat, we will go in our separate ways.

Then, a group of men with sunglasses and suits arrived in front of the cafe; some of them have trench coats on.

People hid under the tables and behind the chairs.

"Oh, they're here." Tadashi grumbled. "Their death threats are very annoying."

Vote if you like this chapter! It helps a lot!