"Lyra, please-"

"Don't touch me!" I screeched. Then I cried softly. "I was scared of losing you. I didn't want to, Connor. I didn't want to see him shoot either of you. I knew what he might've tried after killing you, and I was scared all the screams in the world wouldn't save me..."

I wiped my eyes, gripping the compass. I wanted to leave, but the moment I turned, Connor gripped my wrist.

"Don't. Please."

I trembled in partial anger. "Why? I wouldn't want to get my whore germs all over you."

"Lyra, I didn't mean that. You know as well as I do that people say angry things when they're up."

"I think I'd know more about that than you, Connor!!" I spat, knocking his hand away. "Shouldn't I be the one to get angry at you? You've had sex with women before me! You've insulted me here and there, and yet it's natural to forgive and want to love you!"

I turned to him, only to find I had angered him again, but I didn't care.

"I hate how you think you're in charge. The only reason we're in this mess is because you and your brother decided to rape me in the forest! Deep down, I am still not okay with that! But because you and he are bonded to me, I have no choice but to accept it!!"

He snarled, knocking the lantern aside and gripped my wrist.

I glared up at him but shrunk when his canines grew some.

"Let me go," I demanded in a frantic manner. But he didn't listen. He snarled and prepared to grab my other wrist, but someone suddenly tackled him. The figure and Conner suddenly shifted and I realized the stranger to be Xain.

"No! Stop!!"

"You dare try to hurt her?!" He snarled. Conner kicked him off, charging moments later. All I could do was watch in helplessness as they fought. Eventually, after growing tired of watching them fight, I grabbed the lantern and quickly ran before either could notice.

I ran, my feet barely wobbling in the process. I didn't understand why Connor was so mad, but with both brothers ticked, I didn't feel like taking a chance.

My breath was short, causing me to feel dizzy as I ran, but the sheer need to get close to someone I didn't fell wary around was strong.

My bond with them was strong, but I was too terrified to try and get them to stop.

The light of the campsite was in my eyesight, and I slowed my pace. From what I could hear, no one was following me. Once I started to slip into the vines, someone suddenly grabbed my arm and slammed me down, covering my mouth in the process.

To my surprise, it was an Asian-looking guy. And he looked steamed.

"I figured I should tell you this now, knowing those men will come back," he murmured quietly into my ear. "I despise humans. But I love your smell. And I haven't been with a female in a long time. If I didn't hate you so much - if those brothers weren't with you - then it wouldn't be a matter of if I ravaged you, but when. Are we clear?"

His confession rattled me a little, causing me to tremble somewhat.

After a moment, he let me go and helped me up. "Those brothers are on their way," the man stated. "And one of them still seems angry."

I shivered somewhat. The man smiled. "You have right to afraid. His scent is strong. You do realize it's because he wants to take you, right?"

I looked at him, confused.

He rolled his eyes. "You clearly haven't been their mate for long. If they go without connecting with you in that way, they will get desperate. And then they will get irritable. Before you know it, they will be angry at you, ignore you, or take you by force."