Part 41: For All Time

Michael's point of view

We stayed there, on the ground, while the fireworks went off, and people started to gather in front of the building. June had her wattery eyes focused on the giant rolled out sign in front of us, and her hands were covering her mouth. When she turned her head towards me, she looked at my face and then down at the box in my hands. Tears started to well up in my eyes when I saw June's falling freely on her cheeks.

My heart was pounding in my chest, as I was anticipating her answer. To me, there was no way she would say no after all that was said the last couple of days, but I couldn't help it and got scared that she would turn me down again, only to punish me for what I did in the past.

"Now you may think it's a little bit too soon after everything we've been through, but I feel like it's the best moment for us to take the plunge and finally have our brand new start as an engaged, happy couple," I stood up from the floor, and stretched my hand for June to take it.

Once again, June covered her mouth with her right hand, while she delicately put her left one in mine, standing up from the floor as well.

"The fight for you is basically all I've ever known, and I'm tired of fighting. I know what I want now, and that is being with you for the rest of my days. I can't imagine growing old with anyone else, nor do I want to," I declared, as she slowly removed her hands from her face. "Now let's dance together at our wedding, let's have a family, let's try to have a normal life together."

Still with a hold on her hand, I got down on one knee, and looked up at June with tears blurrying my vision.

"I've never done this for anyone before," I began in a soft, honest voice, "and let alone disguised as superheroes –" I added with a chuckle, which caused June to chuckle as well, which made my heart flutter at this very sound, " –because I was waiting for the right person, and I know from the beginning that you are this person to me. I've been a complete fool to walk away from you, beceause I can't live without you. All of this may sound corny and the words may not be new, but I can't find other words to tell you what's in my heart. Now I can tell you that, just like your father found in your mother, I found in you my one true love, so... June Aurélie Wellington, I know I may not be perfect, but... Will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?" I said in a shaky yet confident voice.

"Yes!"she shouted right away, and my eyes widened quite a bit.

"Yes?"I asked again for clarification, as a giant smile appeared on my face.

"Yes, yes, yes! Yes, Michael Jackson, I want to be your wife!" she exclaimed with a smile that mirrored mine, as joyful tears streamed down her gorgeous face.

With trembling hands, I slipped the diamond ring on her finger, and as expected, it looked wonderful on her.

Out of nowhere, June literally jumped in my arms, hugging my neck tightly as I spinned her around a little.

"Oh my God, I love you so much, Michael," she said in my ear, and I put her back on her feet.

I cupped her face in my hands, and crashed my lips onto hers for a long, and loving kiss that was full of relief. The weight on my shoulders was finally gone when she pronouced the word yes. Those three letters, this tiny word sent me on cloud nine, and I wasn't ready to come down.

I was there to stay.

"And what I love about me is you," I murmured on her lips, before giving them another peck. "I love you, baby girl."

As we were staring intensely in each other's eyes without speaking a word, we heard someone clearing their throat a few meters away from us. Pit was standing awkwardly there, the camera in his hands.