Part 14: Unhappy Birthday

June's point of view

"Alex? What are you doing here?" I asked him, who was standing at my door with an expression on his face I wasn't able to describe.

"I'm here to make you stay," he said in a low voice, his french and sexy accent coming to my ears.

"What?" I laughed. "Come on, you know I'm not staying here any longer. I have a plane waiting for me."

"Please don't go," he breathed, serious. "May I come in for a second?"

"Sure," I said, taking a step aside to let him in.

I closed the door behind him, confused. It was the first time I saw Alex this way. He was normally always proud and confident, but the sight before my eyes was the exact opposite: he seemed insecure, nervous and scared.

"Those are for you," he said, handing me the dozen roses. "Red because of their meaning."

"Their meaning?" I asked, taking in the scent of the flowers. "They're beautiful, thank you."

"Just like you," he shyly said.

I didn't even tease him about his cheesy comment because I was still shocked about his sudden shyness and uneasiness. Alex, being shy? What the fuck?

"Thank you," I smiled, frowning. "So what's the meaning?"

"Red roses mean passion and," he paused a few seconds, "and love."

My eyes widened. What did he just say?

"Alex," I sighed. "Don't."

"I love you, June," he admitted, taking a step closer to me. "I mean, I'm in love with you."

"Don't be silly, all you love is my body," I waved a hand over his face, snickering nervously.

I turned around to put my roses in a vase, and Alex followed behind me to the kitchen.

"You don't get it," he said, leaning with his elbows on the kitchen island in front of me. "You made me a better man. The first time we met, I was a douchebag, but I changed. Can't you see that?"

"Yes," I smiled at him. "You changed, and I like the new you. But babe, we agreed our relationship would only be sexual. No feelings, no falling in love."

"Well, I lost the damn game. I'm a loser, but I don't care. June," he sighed, taking my hands in his, "believe me when I say I love you. You awoke something in me I thought I lost forever. Please don't walk away."

"You're a sweet guy, and sex with you was great, but you know where my heart is," I admitted, leaving his hold on my hands.

"I do. But don't you think your heart should belong to someone who loves you back?"

He had a point there.

"Alex, I don't want to talk about this with you. Please," I sighed, finally putting the roses in the vase.

"Please, let me take you out tonight," he pleaded.

"I can't, I have a plane and a family waiting for me."

"Then take me with you."

I looked deep into his green eyes, and noticed the seriousness in them. This was the very first time I saw Alex this way.

"What?" I asked, wishing I misheard him.

"Take me to New York with you," he repeated.

"I can't do that," I said, shaking my head.