Part 35: Is It Too Late To Apologize?

June's point of view

I slowly approached the doorstep, not knowing what to do or what to say to the Jackson standing there. The sympathetic smile on her face let me know that she knew the situation between Michael and I, which made me even more confused about her being here.

Is she here to deliver me a message from Michael? Is she here to comfort me? Am I hallucinating because of the alcohol I had the previous night?

I had no idea. I didn't even know if I was happy to see her or not. This was just too confusing for me.

"Uh, I'm going to take your lugguages out of the car. Pleasure to see you, Ms Jackson," Damon smiled before walking past Janet.

As I slowly approached her, Janet threw her arms around me, and embraced me tightly, rubbing my back. It felt good seeing her again, even though the circumstances weren't really bright. Janet is like a sister to me -- actually, every single Jackson is family to me.

"I missed you," she softly said to me.

"Yeah, I missed you too, Jan," I admitted in a whisper.

I was on the verege to become emotional at that point, and I didn't know why. Maybe was it because Michael and her look so much alike that I had the feeling it was him I had in my arms? Certainly.

"What are you doing here?" I finally asked once I pulled away from her.

"Oh, um... I uh, I heard you were back in New York, and I was there working so I just popped up to check up on you. Is that okay?" She asked, touching her nose.

She was lying, and I knew it just by her body language: every time she's nervous or lying, Janet has this habit to touch her nose, just like Michael.

Even though I knew she was lying to me, I didn't want to let her know, and just enjoyed the fact that she was here with me.

"Of course it is, come on in before someone recognize you," I said, taking a step aside to let her in.  "You're lucky, I just got here," I informed her, closing the door behind me.

"Oh I know," she declared, and I frowned. "Oh uh, I mean, I know I'm lucky!" She nervously chuckled.

"What's the matter with you, Janet Damita?"

"Nothing!" She quickly answered. "I'm just a little hyper."

"And why is that?"

"I um, I'm working on new material, and I can't wait for all of you to listen to it!"

"Oh," is all I said, giving her a bright smile. "Come on, my family's here, I'm sure they'd like to see you."

"Uh no no, wait!" She exclaimed, grabbing my arm. "I just want to talk to you one on one before."

"About Michael," I mumbled, nodding. "What is it?"

"Are you angry at Michael?"

What kinda question is that? I asked myself.

"I mean, how much angry are you at him?" Janet corrected herself, probably because she saw the look on my face that said 'Really?'.

"He broke my heart. He just-- I laid myself bare for him, Jan. I never declared my love like this to anyone before Michael, and I never proposed to anyone before him, that tells you just how much I love him. And what did he do? He just left. He left me standing there alone, without explanations. How much do you think I'm angry?"

"A lot," she sighed. "I can get that. It wasn't a thing to do from Michael. It was just so awkward and--"

"This wasn't awkward, Janet. This was mean. He was angry because he thought I cheated on him with Prince. He did that on purpose, just to hurt me."