Part 21: Best Thing I Ever Had

June's point of view

As I closed the glass door behind me, the cool night wind that hit my skin gave me chills, causing me to run my hands on my bare arms, turning around to meet nothing but my mother's back. I really could understand that she was upset because I didn't tell her about what happened between Michael and I these past few weeks, but she couldn't blame me, I had a good reason to do so. She was happy, she was glowing, and I didn't want to ruin that, because seeing my mother happy is the best sight in the world to me.

"Mom?" I called to my mother who still had her back facing me, my arms crossed under my breasts.

She didn't answer me, but she instead turned around, allowing me to see her eyes full of tears that threatened to fall down on her cheeks.

"Mom, what's going on?" I asked, unfolding my arms, walking closer to her.

"Why?" she asked, taking a step back. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Is this the reason why you're so upset? Mom, come on, I told you. You were just back from your honeymoon, I didn't want to –"

"That's some bullshit, June," she said, shaking her head.

I was quite taken aback, because she's always the one to scold me when I curse, and God knows I curse a lot, and right now she was the one cursing. It was quite something unusual for me, and that let me know how much she was upset with this situation.

"What? I– I don't understand right now. Why do you think I didn't tell you?"

"Because you don't give a single fuck about me!" she yelled out of nowhere, throwing her hands up. "That's why!"

"Mom, calm down," I gently told her, a confused expression on my face. "You know this isn't true."

I tried to walk closer to her once again, trying to put my hands on her shoulders to try and reassure her, but she once again stepped back, avoiding my touch.

"You want me to calm down?" she asked, looking straight into my soul. "I came here because I wanted to spend some quality time with you and suprise you, but instead I'm the one who's surprised because you lied to my face, that you hid all of this from me. I can't calm down because I feel like shit!"

"You act like I hid something huge from you, like I was expecting a baby or something! I know there's something else! There has to be something else than this."

"You lied to my face, I have the right to be upset, don't you think?"

"I didn't lie, because you know everything now! I just thought that it would be better if I waited until things get finally better, and they've been better for what... two hours?" I explained, but my mother didn't seem to get it.

"I was completely in the blue, thinking that everything was going just fine into my daughter's life. You make me feel useless!"

"You're not useless, mom, stop it! You're seriously talking non-sense right now!"

"Oh yeah, you think so? If I'm not useless, why did you move away at the other end of the country while you just came back from Paris? Because you visibly don't need me in your life, you perfectly made it clear to me that you have your life now, that you're a grown woman. The fact that you didn't tell me about all of this is just another clue that tells me that you don't need me anymore," she spoke in a softer voice.

She was right on one point. It's true that I really didn't think much about my mother's feelings about me moving away from New York for good. I just thought that it wouldn't be as worse as it was when I moved away in Paris.