Part 33: I Thought I Could Fly, So Why Did I Drown?

Two days later, October 26th, 1990,
New York City, NY.

June's point of view

"Okay guys, hurry up now, we must be gone in ten," I called after the newbies who were getting prepared to come with me to my Chanel photoshoot.

"I can't find my eyeliner!" Stephanie complained, panicking. "Who the fuck took my eyeliner?" she yelled across the room.

"Here, take mine," Crystal offered. "How do I look, June?" she asked, turning to me.

"You look good," I answered, forcing a smile. "Where's Caleb?"

"I'm over here! What's up? Can I do something for you?" he asked, coming from behind me.

"No, I just wanted to check if you were ready," I said, eyeing him. "Turn around."

He did as told, and I studied him as he turned around. He was wearing black tight pants and a white buttom-up shirt accompanied by a black blow tie. Simple, but really classy.

"You look good as well," I concluded, patting his shoulder gently.

Last month, I made sure to have the newbies relooked thanks to David's help. He changed the haircut of each and every one of the newbies, and gave some tips to the girls on how to do a nude make up, and they all listenned carefully to him.

"Come here," Dave told me, and I made my way up to him. "Relax, you're all tensed up," he soothed, touching up my hair. "Are you gonna be fine out there?"

"I have to," I sighed, giving him a little smile. "I'm just a little stressed out."

"I'm not talking about this, June, I'm talking a –"

"June!" April called after me, cutting Dave off.

"Excuse me," I told him, touching his arm. "What is it?" I asked the panicked newbie in front of me.

"I forgot my shoes in California! What am I gonna do? I can't put those heels with this dress, it's – "

"Calm down!" I hissed, putting my hands on both of her shoulders. "What's your shoe size?"

"I, um... Seven I think," she said in a shaky voice. "I'm so stupid, I can't believe I forgot my shoes."

"It's okay, here, go see in my suitecase, I must have a pair that would fit you."
"You're a lifesavior, thank you so much!" she hugged me, and ran towards my suitecase.

I shook my head at her, and a small smile appeared on my face. April is a eighteen year-old girl, and sometimes I feel like she's the little sister I never had. She's clumsy just like me, and she seems to have had a tough life, and I feel like I need to protect her.

"June, we should go now," Rebecca announced, and I nodded my head. "The SUV is ready outside."

"Thanks, Becks," I thanked her, and she disappeared in a corner of the huge hotel suite. "Okay guys, let's go now. Karl's waiting."

It's time for a leap back in time.

***

With the newbies, Rebecca and David following me, we enterred the all too familiar building where the photoshoot would take place, and immediately the roaring of the people in there hit my ears. The setting was already set up, and the many photographers were arranging the last details of it. I took off the sunglasses I put over my eyes to hide any trace of tiredness, and scanned the room in order to find my former manager.

The newbies behind me were quiet, and seemed a little bit starstruck by the entire thing. It's true that, the first time I posed for Chanel, I was starstruck myself by the enourmous work it takes to set up a photoshoot.