Part 28: Toxic

A/N: this is a short, shitty chapter but next one should be published soon, and it may be much better :)

Michael's point of view

I stood still for a few seconds, trying to accept the words June threw in my face. When I realized she really did think that I was breaking up with earlier, I wanted to punch myself in the face.

"June, come on," I called, knocking on the bathroom's door. "I didn't choose Jessica over you. I'm not stupid like you claim I am."

I didn't miss that part where she said I was stupid. It wasn't pleasant to hear, but I guess she had the right to be quite angry at me. I know I am naïve, but this is who I am, and if June couldn't accept it, then I don't know why she was wasting her time with me.

"Go away," she called back through the door, her voice weak.

Is she crying?

"I'm not going anywhere until you talk to me," I spoke in a soft voice. "Baby, please. Open that door. I didn't see you in three whole days."

"I'm late, Michael. I have to get prepared. Go back to Neverland."

I didn't answer, and leaned with my back on the wall next to the bathroom's door, hoping she would open the door if I didn't speak another word. It wasn't even an option for me to leave without having at least the chance to explain myself, and tell her what was my plan.

After a long, opressive silence, June finally unlocked the door, and called my name in a barely audible whisper.

"I'm here," I called in the same tone.

"Why are you still here?" she asked, now in front of me. "I thought I told you to leave."

When I laid eyes on her, her hair was now down and curly, exactly the way I love it to be, and her light make up was adjusted. She was beyond beautiful, as always.

"And I didn't listen," I sighed, and took her hand in mine. To my biggest surprise, she didn't dodge me. "Please, give me two minutes. This is all I'm asking for."

She didn't say anything, so I dragged her towards her bed, and sat down on it. She soon followed my actions, and we were sitting side by side, looking down at our respective lap. After a few seconds, I looked at her, and took a deep breath.

"Would you look at me?" I shyly yet gently asked her. "Please?"

"I would, but I can't," she whispered, her voice shaking.

"What do you mean you can't?" I asked, and took her chin inbetween my index finger and thumb and turned her head towards me. "Baby, please. Talk to me, look at me."

"Did you have a peaceful life when we broke up?" she asked out of the blue, still avoiding my gaze. "During your mariage with Jessica, did you have a peaceful life? Without drama?"

"What is this question? What's the matter?" I asked, concerned.

I didn't get her mood swing. I thought she was angry at me because of the phonecall I gave her earlier, but the more I looked down at her, the more I could see sadness and despair on her face.

"Please, just answer," she pleaded, looking at me with tear-filled eyes. "Did you?"

"My life wasn't peaceful. You know it never is, with work and everything. What's going on?"

"I mean, was your life easier without me?" she asked in a low, weak voice, not acknoledging my question.

"Uh, no! Of course not! I had my drama too. Should I remind you what Jessica did?"