Part 36: What Do We Do, Now?

Michael's point of view

I was helpless. Totally, and completely helpless as I watched the love of my life walking away from me for the second time. However, this time, it was all my fault. I was the one who caused this.

I hoped she would at least hear me out and talk to me so that we can make things better between us, but the only words I had come out of her mouth were "I hate you" and "get out". It hurt me to know she hated me, but I understood: I hated myself for what I did too. During the days I had been away from her, my only wish was to run back to her side and erase everything I had done to her, but I knew it wasn't possible.

I decided to be brave, and face the responsibility of my behavior and run back to June, thinking that everything would be back to normal when I talk to her.

I was wrong.

Nothing is that easy.

"June!" I practically cried in agony as June was leaving.

She didn't stop, she didn't turn around, she just kept walking without turning back, just like I did.

I felt half of the pain she felt when I left the same way just after she spoke her heart out to me, and it was killing me from the inside.

"I can't let her do that," Michelle whispered next to me, shaking her head. "June Aurélie Wellington!" She yelled across the room, which caused June to release the front door's handle. "If you leave this house withtout talking to this man standing right here, I swear you're gonna hear from me."

June laughed sarcastically, turning around, "y'all are on his side, aren't you?"

"There's no side to be on! You love Michael, and he loves you, you are one!" Michelle argued, as I stood beside her with tears in my eyes.

"He loves me, huh?" She said, averting her eyes to me as a tear escaped her left eye, "This man who's shamelessly standing here? The same man that left me like I was some shit on the sidewalk? That same man I opened my heart to and who, in return, gave me nothing but a fucking heartache? That same man who has such a low opinion of me and believes I cheated on him? Well, if this man loves me, then he has such a weird way to show his love," she said in a crying voice as the tears wouldn't stop from falling on her wet cheeks. "I don't need this kinda love, I don't need him, I don't need anybody."

"Please, at least hear him out," my little sister asked her, and I appreciated the support.

That was the whole point in having Janet here. When I explained everyone what my plan for winning June's heart back was, my first supporter was my sister, and asked me if it would be possible for her to be here, so that I have her support throughout this. To me, it wasn't a problem at all, but I had to check up on Michelle and Damon if that was okay.

When I called Michelle, she was pretty angry at me. Of course, June told her about what happened, so she knew I broke her daughter's heart. For my defense, I explained how frightened I was of being committed again, after what happened during my lastest marriage, which was the truth, but of course, it wasn't a good enough reason for leaving the way I did. Truth is, when June got down on one knee, I think my heart stopped for a few seconds, like I couldn't breathe anymore. I realized at that moment that what we had was real, and that things shouldn't be this way between us. She shouldn't be the one proposing, I should be. I should be the man who wants to make her my wife, to make her Mrs. Jackson because I want her to finish her life as such.
I was so scared that I tried to find excuses when I found her in Prince's arms, while I was the one to push her in his arms. I was absent for two months, I left her alone, and she barely talked to me because of that conversation she heard between Brooke and I, and I barely talked to her because I couldn't stand the fact she became a friend of Prince's. However, he was there when I wasn't, and I hate to admit that, but she was right about him: he actually has another side of his personality.