Part 10: Hold Your Breath

Manhattan, New York.
Two motnhs later, June 15th 1990.

June's point of view

The day my mother and Damon were going to say "I do" to each other came faster than expected. They both wanted to get married as soon as possible, and it took them two whole months to plan everything. Of course, even though I was in Paris during those two months, I did my best to help them with everything. My mom came to Paris a month ago to try the dress Karl made especially for her, and she was breathtaking in it. It was weird having her in Paris with me. It was the very first time in two years she got to discover my new life, and I was proud showing her what it looked like. Anyway, Karl did a really good job, and I was happy he did that for her. We had our differences after the Vogue's incident, but then I guess things were back to normal. I made it on the cover of Vogue, and I had a lot of great feedbacks. I came to a point where people in the US didn't know me as Michael Jackson's ex girlfriend anymore, but more as Chanel's muse. Rumors kept spreading though. Since Michael and I began to hang out together again, the media made a fuss about it. He was accused to cheat on his wife with me, and they even imagined that Michael and I were friends again because I wanted him to meet the son we had together that he never knew about. Crazy? Yeah, I know. Speaking about Michael, even though I was in Paris and him in California, we spent long nights on the phone, just talking to each other, and I loved it. He made me laugh, and I felt good just talking to him like this. We talked about everything. Even football, while Michael doesn't like it. I guess every topic was a good way for me to just hear his voice. We could have talked about boring reality shows, I wouldn't have even cared, as long as I could hear his calming voice and sweet giggles. He just made me fall in love with him more and more. I couldn't get enough of him. Everytime I had to go or he had to hang up the phone, I was already missing his voice, and I was looking forward to call him again. Even if I would, I couldn't get rid of him. It's like he's a part of me. I've never felt this complete in my life but since I have him back into it. He was the missing piece to my puzzle. However, I felt like he was acting all weird the last past month. It's like he was nervous when he talked to me, or even like he was hiding something from me, but I had no idea what it was. Evertyime I asked him what was wrong with him, he just told me he was a bit stressed out by work, but I didn't believe him. After a few tries, I just decided to let it go. I knew if he was in trouble or something, he would tell me. That's what friends are here for, right?

The reception venue my mother chose was this hotel in Manhattan, the Gramercy Park Hotel. The courtyard was amazingly decorated by the staff; When you came in the large room, the first thing you saw was this giant beautiful water fountain, and the sound of it was so refreshing and relaxing. The round tables were covered in sheer champagne fabrics, which gave a romantic feeling to the whole room. The centerpieces of the tables were copper candles. It was just a glass holder with a crisscross pattern of copper tape strips, but it was really beautiful as well. The atmosphere in there was zen, calm, and I liked it very much. I think it defined who my mother was perfectly. People were running across the room, adjusting every little details left appart. Since I came back a day before, I tried to help, but everytime I wanted to do something about the decoration, people told me they were handling this, that I didn't need to do anything. I took a quick look at the seating arrangements next to the fountain, and smiled at the names on it. Basically, the guests were my family and Damon's along with co-workers they have in common. Of course my mother didn't forget to invite David and Jeremy. They're like sons to her since they both work for me.

As I was in the living room, reading The Eye Of The World by Robert Jordan, I heard Timmy's little feet stomping towards me, chanting my name. When I turned around, he was holding a cowboy doll in his hands.

"Auntie June, look what daddy got me today," he said, proudly showing me his new toy.

"Wow, look at this," I said in awe, putting my book down. "It's so cool!"