Thirty Four

I was relieved when my parents said good night and headed upstairs.  Being alone withChristopher meant I could relax a little bit and drop the façade.  The thing was though that I had no idea what to do with him at that point.  The car was sounding like a good idea right now.  Or maybe renting a hotel room for an hour or so?  We couldn't simply sit here and stare at each other until bed time.  "Why don't I take you upstairs and get you settled into the guest room?"

"That sounds good Sir, thank you."  He followed me up the stairs silently until he walked in.  "This is very nice.  It's so homey."

It pleased me that he was still using 'Sir' whenever he could but his comment confused me. "It's in a home, Chris."

He smiled.  "I'm used to staying at hotels when I'm not at my place and even mine is a little bare.  This is comfortable and happy."

"Oh.  Good. I hope you'll be comfortable.  Text if you need anything and I'll see you in the morning."  It seemed easiest to make my escape now and read in bed awhile.

"Wait?  Sir?  You're not sleeping here?  Oh of course, my mistake."

"I'll sleep in my room."

"Could you stay a minute?"

"If you wish."  I sat down in the armchair while he unpacked.

"Should I put their gifts down by the tree?" he asked, pulling out a card, a wrapped box and a gift bag.

"That wasn't necessary Pet."

"I know but it's nothing big, I promise."

"What did you get them?"

"I found a pretty cardinal sun-catcher at the card store and thought your mom might like it.  Kevin told me that your father would enjoy a good bottle of bourbon and then asked me about the glaze.  I had no idea what he was talking about, are they connected?"

"So he's figured that part out, has he?  Yes Pet, there's bourbon in the glaze."

"Oh, that makes much more sense now.  I thought he was a little crazy when he offered to pay me for the recipe but after tonight, I probably would too."

"They will both like their gifts; it was very kind of you.  I'll take them down before I go to bed, is there anything else?"

He hesitated which caused me to worry.  "Did I do something wrong?  You were all happy and smiles and talkative during dinner and the movie and now you're... I don't know."

"I'm tired Chris.  Being with my parents is exhausting.  Working that hard is taxing. I didn't think I needed to work quite so hard with you."  He liked the act better though, of course he did.  Everyone did.  "But I can do it a bit longer I suppose."  I plastered a smile back on my face.

"No, it's... I didn't realize it was an act.  You can stop, I mean you don't have to... never mind.  I don't know how to say it.  I'm sorry.  And I'm sorry about putting my foot in my mouth about you sleeping here, it was nice of your parents to invite me at all and I'm sure they wouldn't like the idea of us sharing a room."

"It would be fine with them but I don't sleep with people, I thought I'd made that clear."

"Oh, right.  Yes.  One of your limits.  I forgot Sir."

"It's not a limit, per se it just doesn't work well."

"I don't understand.  Can you explain it to me?  If you don't mind?"  He started stripping out of his clothes and slid a pair of pajama pants on.  When he reached in for his toiletry case I saw his cuffs bag.

"Did you bring your cuffs?"

"I... yeah.  I always bring them with me."

That pleased me greatly and tipped the scales in his favor. I decided to confide in him although I worried that I would regret it. "I don't sleep well Chris.  I never have.  I toss and turn, I wake up constantly, I get up and use the bathroom.  And afterwards I often have a hard time getting back to sleep.  Rarely a night goes by that I don't spend an hour or two staring at the ceiling.  Having someone in bed with me would just exacerbate those problems and mean two people weren't  getting any rest."  There, that was most of it.

"Oh.  I just assumed you didn't want to."

"Why do you assume the worst, Pet?"

"When you're starving and someone else has food, it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt I guess but I'll try though.  And that's really not the case anymore, you're giving me a lot more, more than I ever thought you would.  That was mean and I'm sorry, especially after today. Thank you for telling me and explaining."

He still didn't get it though, he didn't understand that it was absolutely off the table.  "Pet, when I was younger I was horribly sick one winter.  I must have been 10 or 11 maybe.  Mom and I moved in here into the guestroom and she slept next to me so she could help me during the night.  I had a nightmare and I hurt her, I broke her nose when I panicked.  I didn't mean to--"

"Of course you didn't.  It was an accident Sir."

I let the interruption slide. "Yes.  But still, it happened and it shouldn't have. I still have frequent nightmares, especially when I am stressed or nearing an explosion.  Tonight certainly qualifies.  I won't risk hurting you."

He chuckled.  "That sort of goes with the territory Sir.  You hurt me on purpose fairly often."

"That's not at all the same. If you see it that way we need to discuss it."

"No, no it's not.  But still, it's a risk I'm willing to take.  Napping with you on the couch was amazing. I loved falling asleep with you."

"I do things for you in aftercare that I don't wish to make a habit of in everyday life Chris."

"But why not Sir?  What's wrong with aftercare all the time?"

"It wouldn't be special and serve it's purpose when needed.  You sound like Kevin."

"Well he seems to know his shit so I won't pretend to be offended but... I'm just not sure I quite see where you're coming from on this Sir."

"You don't have to, it's my choice."

He nodded.  "That's true.  Thanks for talking to me, for explaining the sleeping thing.  I won't pretend that I don't want to sleep with you but at least I understand why you won't now."  He yawned, a huge one that took several seconds to end.  "I didn't realize how tired I am."

"If you want to use the bathroom I will drop off the presents and meet you back here.  I'm happy to sit with you while you fall asleep if it will make you happy.  You were a good boy tonight and deserve a reward but my options are currently rather limited."

"That would be amazing Sir.  Will you sit on the bed?" he asked hopefully.

"If you wish."

"We could build a pillow fort between us to protect me, in case you nod off. The bed is certainly big enough."

I could not imagine those words coming out of anyone else's mouth. "You amuse me."

"Could I ask just one more thing, while we're talking?" He asked, a sly grin on his face.

He had me worried but I never denied him a question. "Go ahead. "

"Would it ever, ever be okay for me to call you 'munchkin'? Just once?"

"No!" A smile spread across my face without my permission. "Now go get ready for bed before I decide to gag you." I swatted at his ass and he grinned at me as he hopped away.

"Yes Sir!!"