Four

It took a bit of time to calm him down afterwards, I had pushed him further than I intended. I got him some water and tended to his backside with some salve and even offered to remove his collar. He'd asked me, through glazed eyes, to leave it on. Still, he needed a break so I brought him out of the Den and into more neutral space.

"If you're going to be on this lead, it's time to go over some rules" I said, letting him get as comfortable as he could on the couch. I held a length of lead up to his mouth. "Open." I nodded when he did so and again when he looked up at me. He closed his mouth. "Very good. When the lead is in your mouth you may not speak and it is a sign to others that you are not available for conversation. I happen to like you talking most of the time but if you become overwhelmed I may offer it to you so that you will be left alone. Understood? I haven't forgotten how you feel about this sort of play and I don't plan on using it but other Doms will and you should not speak to anyone with a lead in their mouth."

He nodded and I removed it. "Yes Sir."

"Good. Now, if I leave it hanging free you are free to move as you wish around the room, club, wherever. I picked up the end and looped it over the arm of the lamp. "How does that feel?"

"I assume I should stay here, Sir."

"That's not what I asked."

"I know. I'm sorry, I think I was buying myself some time to process it."

He could have just said that but it was better than hearing 'I don't know' so I let it slide. "Take your time." I walked into the kitchen. "Do you like popcorn?"

"Popcorn Sir? I... yes of course."

It wasn't normal Sunday afternoon food but it sounded good. I put a bag in the microwave and by the time it had been popped and poured into a bowl he seemed to have reached a conclusion.

"Sir? I could just unhook it."

"Of course you could."

"So I'm having a war, again, hard to believe it I know but even though it SEEMS demeaning and ridiculous it's sort of nice knowing that this is where you want me, that this is right. Does that make sense?"

Little of what he said ever made sense yet it always did. "It is where I want you, obviously. Yes."

"So it's nice to know I'm right. Like I didn't offer to help you because of it... should I have? Anyway? I just assumed that I should stay."

"I did not want your help, no. If I hook your lead you may relax and rest. It's nice for me to know where you are, to not have to look over and check on your whereabouts. It is especially useful in busy places like the club but it has its uses here as well."

"Kevin once said you didn't collar so why do you.... oh, because of harnesses, right? It's the same rules?"

"Yes Pet, leads in general."

He ate popcorn one at a time, his hand flying back and forth to the bowl. I'd never seen anyone do that for more than a piece or two and I always threw four in my mouth at a time.

"I have a question Sir, is this a good time to ask? I didn't know if I should ask on date night or now and it's not that important so it could wait until next time if you want."

"Just ask as long as it's polite."

"It just popped into my head because you're counting the popcorn, aren't you?"

He'd noticed? I guess his eyes were on the bowl a lot because of how he ate but he was the first to catch me at it. "Yes."

"And you told me about the four thing, but you never actually use fours. I mean you are now, but okay, you have three and five second hugs. Not four. And during sex it's lots of threes and fives. I mean... I'm not sure what I'm asking. On the table are three candles. But from the books I read I know a lot of... people struggle with it almost constantly. So I'm just wondering why you went without plates for two weeks?"

I crossed my arms and leaned back. I wasn't really mad that he'd asked, I was the one who told him about the fours in the first place but letting him further into my head didn't seem safe and it certainly wasn't how I wanted to spend my afternoon. I could tell him it was private and to drop it but if he'd noticed all of that... "Your questions are like my non-fours I think. They bother you as much. Don't speak yet, let me finish."

He held his tongue and didn't stare, instead popping one fluffy kernel into his mouth after another.

It would annoy him to not know so I would tell him and deal with the fallout. "My obsession with fours was obvious early on. My parents, counsellors etc. did their best to break me of it. Things I have learned and been taught were purposefully made non-four. Kevin was also aware and broke me of the habit early on, it is not safe for me to be so obsessed during a scene. My need to have fours can not override a sub's safety. But that does not mean I don't prefer them in all things. Where I can, there are fours. The other candle is in the TV cabinet."

"Why is it in there Sir?" he asked in no more than a whisper.

"Because I put it there when people come over. Three is a more pleasing number when it comes to décor. But if you look closely there are many fours. You're sitting on a couch with four cushions, two on the back. It was as close as I could do. But no, this room is far from perfectly four which is why I often stay in my office when I'm home alone, particularly if I'm stressed."

"Can I see it?" he asked. "I was there once but I don't remember."

Could he?