Twenty Five

Christopher waited patiently while I put the groceries away. He was on his best behavior and was doing the best he could. It was enough, I reminded myself.

"Can I do anything to help Sir? Or should I even offer? You would tell me if you wanted me to, right?" he asked cautiously.

"It is always good manners to offer Pet but I don't like other people in my space. I will handle it."

"Ollie knew where things were though, that day they came over. He's been in it before, right?" he boldly countered.

This conversation was pointless and I knew he was fishing for answers. I decided to be upfront and hope it put an end to it. "He has. He cooks for me when Kevin and I train."

"Oh. Oh. Right" he mumbled, then thought for a few seconds. "So you do it here?  The TRAINING?"

I didn't like the emphasis he'd put on the last word but I decided to let it go.  "Usually, yes. That way I'm already home and can relax afterwards. Kevin's basement is a couple space, he prefers to do it here."

"So Kevin takes you in the Den while Ollie makes you all dinner? Are you..." He was smart enough to wipe the grin off his face. "I just can't imagine it Sir."

"You don't need to." I was out of things to do with my hands and it was too early to start dinner. I needed a distraction and so did he. Preferably one that wouldn't make him any more sore than he already was. "Why don't you turn on the TV? We have an hour and ten minutes until I start dinner. I'm going to get comfortable, I'll be right back. As soon as my bedroom door was closed behind me I rubbed the palms of my hands against my eyes. Why had I done this? Why hadn't I sent him home? I was tired, bone tired. I slipped into my comfortable pants and made my way back towards the couch. "Stand." He did although he wasn't quite sure why. "After I am seated and comfortable you may sit back down." I stretched out but left him plenty of room.

"How close can I be? Can I lay on you or should I be at this end?" he asked, pointing towards the other arm of the couch.

I didn't care, I just wanted silence. I needed a break. "Wherever you want Pet."

He seemed to be questioning my answer just a moment but he apparently decided to take me at my word because he ended up on his side, squeezed against the back of the couch with his head on my chest. I didn't remember my eyes closing but when I woke we were in the same position and Christopher was still sound asleep. I was groggy and unsure of the time but judging by the darkness beyond the windows it was fairly late. I needed to get Christopher up and make dinner but I waited a moment, enjoying being with him when I didn't have to think or worry about anything. He shifted a few minutes later.

"Sir?" His head popped up. "I'm sorry, I fell asleep. What time is it?"

"I don't know. I slept as well."

"Oh good." He slowly extricated himself, careful not to injure either of us in the process. "It's 7:15 Sir" he answered, glancing at clock.

That caught my attention and I stood up and made my way towards the kitchen. "I'll get dinner started."

"Could I help Sir?" he asked, following me towards the bar.

It was late and he could certainly handle chopping the toppings for the gravy. "Yes Pet, come around here." I handed him the mushrooms and an onion along with a cutting board and knife. I chopped one mushroom, then sliced the onion. "Like this. Finish the rest of these."

"Thanks for showing me what to do, I'm useless in a kitchen. What is this going to be?"

"Gravy for over the steaks." I pulled them out so they could start warming up and gathered everything I needed. Before long I had the cast iron pan sizzling hot and was tossing the steaks into it to sear. "The steaks will cook 8 minutes in the oven and we'll make the gravy and microwave the vegetables then." Ten minutes later we were sitting at the dining room table and I was amused by the look of sheer bliss on Christopher's face.

"I can't believe you MADE these. This is... wow. Sir, you're amazing." He took another small bite, his face lighting up.

"Thank you."

"The gravy is divine too."

"It turned out well. Thank you for your help Pet."

"You're welcome Sir. It was nice, cooking together. And the nap too, and shopping. It was a good day."

My hand rested on the table, the fork leaning against my plate. "And is that all you enjoyed about today?"

"All that I should probably mention over dinner Sir" he answered with a smirk.

"Well in that case, finish up so we can talk about it."

"You made a joke. You're funny, you know. You don't give yourself enough credit but now that I know you better I catch it. But Sir, I was wondering about next Sunday and I thought this might be a good time to ask."

"What about it?"

"It's Christmas Sir."

I sighed, I simply couldn't help it. Did he think I was unaware? That I was incapable of remembering basic holidays? "I know. It's December 25th every year."

"So I was just wondering if... I mean is Friday still on? And what about Sunday?"

"Yes, Friday is on. I will talk to Kevin tomorrow and they will be expecting us. I will be home by noon on Sunday. Is it inconvenient for you?"

"Well I guess I just... I mean I don't really have plans that couldn't be changed but... what do you do for Christmas Sir?"

"I go to my parents' on Christmas Eve and spend the night. We'll open presents in the morning and have breakfast and then I will come home."

"That sounds nice.  I was trying to get home this year but it didn't work out. I'm not sure what I'm going to do."

I had no idea why his lack of firm plans was a problem.  "If you don't have any other plans I don't see why you wouldn't honor our contract."

"Okay. You're right. I'll see you then. Do you want me to help with the dishes before I go, Sir?"

I was glad that he knew it was time for him to leave.  I'd had a nap but I was still mentally finished for the day.  "No, no. I'll get them."

He bent over to put on his shoes instead of sitting on the bench.  Smart.  "Good night Sir."

"Good night Pet. Text me when you're home safe."