Twenty Nine

Two hours and forty-six minutes, not bad. I grabbed my suitcase and the gift bag which held their presents. I didn't expect to make it to the door before she did because in all the years I'd lived away from home I'd never once rang the bell. I was right.

"MUNCHKIN!" Mom yelled, throwing her hands out wide as if I were within range. It was nice of her to warn me though.

"Can I put these away first?" I asked, pausing on the porch because she was blocking the door.

She rolled her eyes at me and smiled before shaking her head. "Now now Greg, you know the answer to that."

I did. I set my bags down and gave her a hug. She was up one step higher than me on the threshold of the house and it helped put her above my navel. I counted but stopped at 20. Then I started worrying I'd missed her tap and tried to pull away but she didn't let me.

"Not yet." Two quick taps to my back. "Okay, now let me look at you."

"Again, something we could do inside, mom."

"No, no, I need a first impression. You look good, really good baby. Alright, get in here." She stepped back just enough to let me squeeze by her. "Your father's waiting for you in the den."

The smile she saw was mostly about seeing my father but it also amused me every time she said the 'den.' "I'm going to take my suitcase up and I'll be right back." I left the gift bag next to the closet, took off my shoes and then dropped off my luggage before grabbing dad's gift and heading into the Den. "Hello Sir."

"Hello son, Merry Christmas." He stood and thrust his hand forward, shaking mine solidly. "How was the drive?"

"Normal. I didn't have any problems." He gave me the once over but I was used to it. He was a retired Army Major and some people thought him a bit overbearing or aloof but to me he was dad and we got along just fine. Neither of us were big on small talk or really social so we understood each other.

"Now" he said, smiling. "What do you have for us this year?"

I had a good one. He'd always been a puzzle-fiend and I'd grown up doing them with him. It was tradition for me to give him a puzzle for Christmas but years ago we'd decided that it was much more fun to do them together so I always gave him his new one as soon as I arrived. We spent most of the evening putting it together while mom helped in between cooking enough food for 15 people. "I found a new Ravensberger."

"Can't be worse than that world map from last year son, let's see." Actually, it probably would be. I watched as he pulled out the 2,000 piece underwater scene. "Why do you do this to us?" he asked, then slapped me on the shoulder. "Let's go show your mother."

"How bad is it?" she joked, sliding something into the oven and closing the door. She walked over to the kitchen table where dad and I had sat down. "Oh my, it's beautiful but..."

"We're going to need your help Missus."

"Would cookies help?" she asked, putting a plate on the table before we had a chance to offer. "Get the border done and I'll see if I can pick out a section to do. I do like those Nemo fish. Greg, fill us in on everything. How are you?"

"I'm good mom." I ate a cookie even though I wasn't hungry, there was no way to avoid gorging myself this weekend and a warm cookie seemed a good place to start.

"You sound good and you look good." She spun, then walked over and grabbed my chin in her hand, turning my head towards her. Her jaw moved around as if she couldn't decide what to say. "Is there someone? Is this finally the year that my baby found someone?"

How the HELL did she... what the HELL? There was, but wasn't. I didn't...

"There IS!!!" she almost squealed. "Who is he? What's his name?"

I was insanely lucky. I had been a late-in-life surprise baby long after they'd given up trying. They'd hit the unlucky jackpot with me between the autism and being gay but even that they had accepted. I didn't feel the need to tell them about my specific lifestyle because there's only so much you can ask of people, but her excitement made me blurt out things I shouldn't have. "Chris. His name is Christopher."

"I knew it!" she exclaimed. "Do you have a picture? How long have you been seeing each other?"

This was never going to stop. I should have denied it but the joy on her face almost made it worth telling her. "I'm sure I do on my phone, one second." I looked for one of him fully dressed as I spoke. "We've been, um together since June."

"Six months!!?" I couldn't tell if she was mad or excited. "Why isn't he here? Did you invite him? Oh, he must be with his family, right? And you'll see him tomorrow?"

If I had thought for one more second I wouldn't have answered the way I did, but her excitement was contagious and I just didn't think. "Of course I didn't invite him. He couldn't make it down to see his family but yes, I'll see him tomorrow."

"What's he doing tonight then?" she asked, hands on her hips.

I looked to my father for help but he was sorting out edge pieces. I knew he was listening but also knew he'd be of no help. "I don't know." I turned my phone towards her, holding it so she couldn't swipe to the next photo.

"He's very handsome. Looks sweet. Greg?"

"Yes mom?"

"Call him right now and invite him. I'm going to make another breakfast casserole. You invite him down to meet us. No one should be alone on Christmas Eve."

"Mom, he probably has plans and it's a long drive--"

"I'm already making it!" she said, tossing a pound of sausage on the counter. "He'd better come down here and help us eat it. And then bring me my chocolates."

**I can not lie, this chapter was the most fun I've had writing in weeks! Hope you're enjoying meeting Greg's family. What do you think, should Chris go down and visit???