Fifteen

Kevin had put aside his drink but I wasn't driving and had no reason or intention to not finish mine and grab myself another.

"Something like this would be good for him, you know" Kevin offered as soon as I'd sat back down.

"Subtle.  Even for me."  I took a long swig, then held the beer up to the light to see how much was gone.

Kevin laughed at me.  "Still a valid suggestion and yeah, you're right.  But since when have you ever wanted me to beat around the bush?"

"But you did, I just caught it.  You could have just said 'you should invite him to this'.  You're annoying tipsy."  He really laughed then and I pulled my phone out of my pocket.  I could call him but if he wasn't available it would just piss me off.  Suddenly I had to know if he'd run out and made plans as soon as he was free for the day. It mattered.

Me:  Are you available?

C:  Yes Sir if you want me

Me: Come to Conflicted. There's a sub social K and O think you'd enjoy.

C: Do I just park in the back lot where we did before? Will they let me in or will you come get me?

Me:  First things first, what are you wearing?

C:  I'm smiling so wide because that's so phone sexish Sir. Is that inappropriate? I have on a black sweater and jeans.  What should I wear?

Me: What you're wearing is fine. Text me when you arrive and I will meet you at the door. Can you be here at 8:30?

C: yes Sir. I'm really sorry about my hair.

Me: I know. As you say it will grow back eventually and I can improvise until then. I will see you in a little while

"There, I did it. He will be here at 8:30." Maybe Kevin would finally get off my back. I waved at the bartender who brought me another beer.

"Do I need to remind you that you've been drinking and he's going to be skittish?" Kevin asked, sending me a rather disapproving glare.

"I just can't please you today, can I? Hope Ollie escapes unscathed." I took his advice though and sipped my drink slowly.

"You've had a rough day Greg."

"No shit. Thank you for that stupendously helpful deduction. Who's Sherlock now?"

"Are you making a joke? Because I have this sudden feeling that this is how you feel when people around you crack jokes. I have no idea how to take that."

"Take it how you want or just ignore it, that's what I do." It was odd one-upping Kevin, it didn't happen often. "Is it my imagination or is Alex paying me quite a bit of attention? Did Brian leave?"

"He's probably wondering where Chris is and what is going on but yeah, he's certainly not avoiding you and I think Brian left with James when he dropped off Mike."

"I didn't see James." I actually liked James a good bit and would have said hello. I spied his sub Mike over near Ollie and got a smile and quick nod in return. I looked down at my watch, twelve minutes to go.

C: I'm stuck at the bridge so it may be 8:35 or so? Sorry, I left as soon as I could.

Well wasn't that refreshing?

Me: Thank you for telling me. It's fine.

"You okay?" Kevin asked.

"Yes, would you relax? It's nothing. Chris is running late." I watched Kevin check the time and crack a smile. "Yes, he texted me. I'm going to use the restroom and wait for him." I made my way to the door at 8:30 even though I knew he was running a bit late. It would do me good to have a few minutes of quiet before he arrived. I tried to envision him with his shaved head so that it wouldn't make me so angry when I saw him; my therapist would have been proud. I asked the doorman for a white armband and twirled it through my fingers as I waited. It felt like an hour before my phone chirped.

C: I'm here Sir, should I meet you at the door?

Me: Yes Chris

I opened the door and saw him coming towards me. He smiled a moment, then it was replaced with a strained look that I didn't understand. Had my face changed? "Hello Pet."

"Hello Sir" he answered and stood still as I attached his arm band. "How are you?"

"Fine."

"Ollie and Kevin are here?" he asked.

"Yes but we have something to handle first, follow me." I led him right instead of left, towards the currently empty playrooms.