Thirteen

The club transformed on the first Sunday of every month. All the lights were on and instead of boys in clubwear there were just people milling about. Of course everyone had on armbands and the subs were still polite and deferential but this was their day and none of the Doms were too strict about things; any who were simply didn't allow their boys to attend.

The club set up a buffet along one wall of the dance floor and brought in extra chairs so that everyone could sit. I hovered behind Kevin until he gave Ollie a kiss and waved him off to join his friends. "It was nice of you to invite me." I'd been rude earlier and had myself under control enough now to try to be polite.

"Anytime. It's nice to see the boys when they're relaxed. Easier to get a read on people, I think. Besides, you looked like you could use an evening out of the house. Want a beer?"

"Yes." He returned a few minutes later with one for each of us and we angled our chairs. Most dom's simply dropped their boys off and came back at the end of the evening to have a drink but Kevin never left Ollie alone in the club so he sat here bored once a month just so Ollie could socialize.

There were lots of glances my way and I'm sure they were wondering what I was doing here. Doms didn't usually stick around at all and I'm sure they'd figured out by now that I hadn't come with anyone. The black-banded boys were flirting, some more than others but I just sipped my beer and watched.

"What about the brunette in the red t-shirt?" Kevin asked.

"Too dark."

"You like dark."

"Not tonight."

"Fine Greg, fine. Okay, what about Mr. Curls on the edge, near Ollie?" he asked.

"I don't like curls."

"Since when? Who the hell doesn't like curls?" He was probably rolling his eyes but I didn't look over. "Oh, Alex is here."

That surprised me, he seemed too outside of things to come to this kind of event. He had arrived with Brian and from what I knew of him they might be a good fit. The two of them went to the buffet and sat at a table across the room from me.

Ollie bounded up, two boys in tow. "Would you like a plate from the buffet Master?"

"No, no I'm fine. I'll go with Greg later. You go ahead if you're hungry, Pet" Kevin answered and the trio headed over to fill their plates. "Hungry for food?" he joked.

I took another sip of my beer. "No. Christopher wouldn't have asked first."

"He might have" Kevin said, attempting to placate me. "He tries really hard."

"So do I but I don't get credit for it, I don't get a damn star sticker."

"You're the dom, get over it."

He had a point, I was being whiney. "I need to bend someone over."

"You can have your pick, there are about five eyeing you up right now and any of them would let you take them into a room."

"I don't like any of them." One had big ears, one was too short, one too heavy, one ugly. They just weren't right.

"Of course you don't" he said haughtily and I was tempted to kick him under the table.

"What does that mean?" I stopped peeling the label off my bottle and looked towards him.

"None of them are Chris. It's why you let Alex go too, remember? It was damn quick and it took even me a little while to process it but that's the reason. He wasn't Chris and none of these boys are either and therefore you're not interested. It's called being in love, Greg."

"Shut up. I don't do that, remember? I am incapable." I got up and walked towards the bar, ordering two more. It gave me a few minutes to get my thoughts together but he was poised to attack as soon as I sat back down so I jumped in first. "I'll take one of them tonight just to prove it."

"Don't do that, it wouldn't be fair to the boy or to you. Look, you wouldn't have been so disappointed today if you didn't care, it wouldn't have bothered you so much. Both the hair and the sending him home, I mean."

"I was frustrated that I'm not allowed to punish him and was forced to give up my Sunday. Stop psychoanalyzing me. I'm not your damn patient."

"You're my friend, Greg."

"No, no I'm not. Not really. Just watch your boy and leave me alone for awhile, okay? I'm going to get something to eat." I made my way to the buffet, enjoying having boys move out of my way. It was nice to get a little respect now and then. I smelled him then right behind me, his sweet musk hitting my nostrils. "Hello Alex."

"Hello Sir." He dipped his head and gave me a polite smile.

"How have you been?" I truly wanted to know, I felt a bit guilty about how I had ended things because he had truly done nothing wrong.

"I'm doing well Sir, thank you. I hope you are too."