Chapter 52

Deianira

"It's over Deianira. He wins."

No...

"I haven't made my decision yet. Adrian, you said you'd let me choose." I reach for his hand but he quickly retreats.

"There's no choice Deianira. You belong to Liam." His lip quivers and for a moment I no longer recognize the man standing in front of me. He shakes his head again reaches for the door.

"I'm no one's fucking property Adrian! This is my life and I have a right to choose who I want to be with!"

"You obviously don't get it! Your bond with Liam is nearly complete and he knows it. You passed the point of no return. Deianira its either him or death!"

I fight for my breath as I process what he's just said. He's told me that the only way that I can move on from Liam was to reject him and that there was a possibility of it being fatal. I thought I had more time to choose. I thought that things would be fine as long as I kept my distance.

I became angry as I realized that Liam knew this. It's why he wasn't worried about my decision because he knew that it was only a matter of time before there was no choice left to make.

Except that there's always a choice.

Deianira. Baby it's over. Just come to me.

"I don't care. I'll risk it." I say, finally making up my mind. I've forgiven Liam for leaving me behind. I understand the choices that he's made, but that doesn't mean that I accept them as good decisions. I didn't know how this telepathy thing worked, but I had enough. I tried summoning all of my willpower and trying push him out.

Deianira! Stop it!

It was working. I ran to block the door. I'm pretty sure that Adrian could pry me away and that Liam could easily break it down, but neither could do it without hurting me, which is not something either wanted to do.

"You don't have to do this anymore. You can finish your exams and get your certificate. Then I'll release you so that you can be with him."

"You wouldn't release me if I chose you. If I went out there and rejected Liam right now, you would not turn your back on me. I know you wouldn't." Because you love me.

He didn't have to say it. I knew it was true. Everything he's done has been for me. He wanted as flawed and imperfect as I was. He stood by me as I fought illness. Even now, he was willing to risk his own happiness so that I wouldn't have to risk my life to be with him. Unlike Liam, my needs and wants has pretty much always come first.

"This discussion is over. I won't let you do something this stupid."

Just as I opened my mouth to respond the window shatters and Liam stands from his crouched landing position.

"Neither will I. Get away from her Adrian." He growls.

Adrian frowns but steps aside. Liam stalks towards me like a predator who has successfully cornered his prey. Then his eyes widen as he realizes that I've really made my mind up.

"Liam Valerio, by nature you are my mate but by choice you are not-"

"No!" He shifts into a large grey wolf, shredding his clothes to pieces.

"I hereby—" Before I could say they last few words I could feel the ground beneath me moving. My vision began to blur, and I knew what was happening. Liam jumped on top of me snarling crazily. "formally re—"

I screamed as Liam sunk his teeth into my shoulder. It really was over now. I'd lost. He's claimed me and there definitely was no going back.

Liam shifts back looking like a madman. His naked body was drenched in sweat and his eyes were wild. "Deianira."