Chapter 40

Deianira

Breathe in. Zone in. Breathe Out. Zone in.

The gun sounded and I pushed my legs and endurance to its limits. In the first lap I passed up a Barbie, a Jock, and Caitlyn while Marilyn and Aubrey not far ahead of me. The second time around i had caught up to Aubrey and Marilyn and we were now all toe to toe.

I needed to win this. I was behind in the competition and if I eliminations were to take place today, I'd probably be cut.

I didn't have time to look over at Marilyn and Aubrey but they were both in my peripheral vision. Just a little farther and faster. Come on Deianira you got this.

Breathe in. Zone in. Breathe out. Zone in.

I closed my eyes and focused on my breathing and moving my legs. My lungs burned. My heart was pumping blood so fast I'm sure my veins and arteries were about to burst. My feet pounder against the track in a swift steady rhythm.The crowd roared and when I opened my eyes I had crossed the finish line. I bend over, supporting myself with my hands firmly on my thighs. I coughed and I looked up and saw the replay of the winners crossing the finish line.

I had won! I finished in first!

Marilyn patted my back. "Congrats." She whispers, out of breath. I gave her a weak smile and wrapped my arm around her for support.

Aubrey scowled at the both of us from her chair in the medics station. Marilyn helped me over to the station where I was ambushed by a bunch of medics. I was forced to drink bottles of cold water and take electrolyte tablets. I also had a quick breathing treatment before I was supposed to get ready for the awards.

I changed into my blue and white track suit that had my last name and the number 7 on the back of the jacket. I walked through the tunnels as soon as I was called to the stage. The crowd roared and I heard a symphony of horns and sirens and the rustling of pom poms.

Next to Adrian were his hot cousins Josh and Jeffrey Peterson. I was vaguely aware that my arms and legs were even moving since all I could see at that moment was Adrian. He smiled and wrapped his arm around my waist before kissing me on my cheek.

The sensation lingered and I tried not to blush.

"Ladies, and gentleman we have our first place winner for this evenings Tournament event!" He raised my arm in the air and I felt a wave of triumphant pride wash over me.

"Thanks to her hard work and skill Deianira has also won tonight's bonus prize. A ten thousand dollar shopping spree!" Jeffrey announces. Josh walks over flashing me his shy, boyish smile and handed me a little black plastic card. I held it in the air beaming with joy as I faced the crowd and the cameras.

Moments later I found myself in the VIP area accepting several congratulatory hugs and kisses. Ruby and I took pictures before she ran off somewhere with Franco, who happened to be off duty tonight. Keira practically tackled me to the ground and couldn't stop squealing as she talked to me.

"I'm so proud of you Nira!" She hugs me again and in the corner of my eye I could see Adrian approaching.

"Thanks Keira. I'm so happy you and Rogan could make it. I really appreciate your support."

"It was our pleasure. Besides, it's good to finally get out, I've been cooped up in the house for the past two weeks." Keira exchanges looks with Rogan who sighed.

"I always knew she wasn't housewife material." He mutters. I laugh and Keira hit him in his arm and pouted.

Adrian smiled radiating the same intoxicating playboy sex appeal. He created a spark that had quickly turned into a deadly fire. I wanted him, the need was deep. It wasn't until he grabbed me and bombarded me with passionate affection that I realized how much I craved that connection. I desired to be wanted by someone. I needed to be the object of someone's affection.