Chapter 5

It seemed like yesterday when I was just snuggling against Liam and gazing up at the stars. I don't know why Liam and I never dated, but then again I always thought that he believed we were better off as friends. Plus, I had started dating my first and only boyfriend during my freshman year of high school.

I roll out of bed and look over to my right to see an empty twin sized bed. A few feet away I could hear the sound of the shower turning off and someone stepping out of it. I yawn and walk over to my closet to choose my clothes for today. Because Liam had texted me and asked me to "go all out" I actually put effort into how I looked today since I just hit a milestone in my life.

My eighteenth birthday.

As I waited for my sister to come out of the shower, I pulled out the simple blue dress that I was supposed to wear at my graduation party. Unfortunately, I was punished for getting into a fight with one of my cousin's bitchy friends and missing curfew, so I didn't get a chance to wear it. I sigh at the memory as I look at the strapless attire and I pull out a simple pair of black pumps-that I barely knew how to walk in-and walk back towards my bed.

Soon enough, Della walks out looking as stunning as she always did. I found it hard to believe that we were even related let alone twins. I had asked myself a dozen times why someone like her didn't have a mate yet. I also found it a little odd how she wasn't freaking out about not finding her mate yet, but maybe it was because she knew my dad would love and take care of her regardless.

I give her a small smile and stood up from my bed. "Happy birthday sis," I say softly.

She hugs me and gives me a kiss on the cheek. "Thanks. Happy Birthday to you too sis," she says as she rubbed my arm.

"You ready?" I ask.

"Almost, I just have to put on my make-up and shoes. What about you? What are you going to do with yourself?"

"I'm going just take a shower and throw on the dress I never wore to the Grad party," I shrugged. She of all people knew that I never wore dresses or heels unless I was going to a wedding, funeral, or a formal pack social or dinner. So for me to be getting dressed up outside of that was a huge surprise.

"You need me to help you with your hair and makeup?" She offers.

"No thanks. I don't really feel like wearing makeup and I'm just throwing my hair in a bun."

She exhales and gives me a look that said: Really? That's all?

"Well hurry up, breakfast is in 20 minutes." She says as she starts plastering her face with foundation.

I wanted to tell her that I wasn't going to breakfast, but that would only cause trouble and I didn't want to fight today. I told Liam that I wanted to spend the entire day with him but he insisted that I showed up to "my own" party later this evening. I didn't want to be around anyone but Liam, he was the one who would be able to keep me from having a nervous breakdown or flipping out on people. Della would be too busy with her friends and everyone else would be focused on her, forgetting that I even existed and that it was my birthday too. That's how it's been for the past six years of my life.

I took my shower and got all dressed up. Then when Liam was here, I hurried downstairs and snuck past the dining room full of laughter and pleasant conversation. I looked back inside as I was about to close the door and sighed...Yeah, they wouldn't miss me.

Liam sat in the driver seat of his black SUV-that reminded me of one of those government or mafia cars you always see in movies-with his head bobbing to some music. Then when he saw me coming out of the house, he gracefully exits the car and walks over to the passenger side.

"Happy Birthday Nira," he gives me a long tight hug and a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Thanks," I say sweetly.

He takes my hand and twirls me around so he could get a complete view of my outfit. "You look nice today." He says before opening the car door for me like a gentleman.

"Don't I always?" I say dramatically.

Liam coughs and gives me a devilish smile. It was his way of teasing me. "You're such a butt hole you know that?" He winks and closes the door after I climb into the car and after a few short minutes we were on the road.

"So what are we doing today?" I ask. I had decided to let him plan out how today would go since I trusted he would know what I would like. Besides, if it were up to me I'd probably be home in a tank top and basketball shorts watching The Hunger Games and a marathon of Harry Potter movies.

"First we're getting something to eat. I know you haven't eaten since the pack house breakfast started at 8 and it's only 8:30." I take the hand that he didn't have on the steering wheel and interlaced my fingers in his.

"Then?"

"Then I thought we could take a walk in the park and hangout there for a while. Then I'll give you your birthday present," he says.

It was perfect. I would get some food, get to take a nice romantic stroll through the park with my mate, then get my birthday present, which I knew would be awesome. He always gave me the best presents. I guess it made up for all the crappy presents I got from everyone else.

We went to the diner where Calvin and Ruby wished me happy birthday. Then I got a candle in my pancakes to blow out. It was such a sweet gesture. Then, before I left, Calvin gave me free cupcakes and a hundred-dollar gift card to Barefoot, a shoe company known for manufacturing shoes for famous athletes.

Then we walked out if the diner and went to the park where we laid on a picnic blanket, played monopoly, and devoured the best frozen lemonade ever! Once I totally bankrupted him, he decided it was time to give me my present.

"Okay so where is it?" I asked excitedly.

Liam pulls out a blindfold and smiles. "Not here. I have to take you to it." 

"Okay..." I let Liam blindfold me and guide me back his truck. The ride was short and I was so excited that I barely spoke. 

"Okay, we're here." 

"I can take the blindfold off?" 

"No, not yet." I listen carefully as Liam climbed out of the car and then helped me out. We climb up some stairs and I hear him opening a door. 

"Alright. Now you can take your blindfold off." 

I take off the blindfold and find myself standing inside a fully furnished apartment. "Nice. I didn't know you got an apartment. Do I get to stay here?" 

"I would think so. It is yours." Liam pulls out a key with a key chain that had my name on it.  

"No way! Oh my gosh Liam you shouldn't have!" I yell excitedly. Liam smiles and hands me the key before pulling me into a tight hug. 

"I know you didn't want to stay at home and I don't want you anywhere near that disgusting Omega House. So this was the next best thing. You like?" 

"I love!" I plop down on the couch and sigh as I take a closer look at the place.

"Good. It took me a while to save up for all of the furniture and stuff. I also paid the deposit and the first two months rent, you're going to have to get a job to pay for the rest."

"I don't mind." 

"Good." Liam sits beside me and we cuddle for a while in silence. 

I was so grateful for Liam in that moment that I almost burst into tears. Then I remembered that he was only doing this because he was leaving me behind to go fight. I'd be living here all alone while he was gone...

But still I needed to remain positive. I have just been given the best birthday present ever and for that I was happy.