Chapter 36

♡ Adrian ♡

I felt terrible about what I had to do. "So she sits out? We don't advance her?" Jeffrey, my celebrity athlete cousin asks.

"We can't, she won't survive another round tonight. She needs to rest up for tomorrow's events." I respond. Everyone nodded in agreement before I split from them to break the news to Deianira. She looked up at me with her exhausted eyes, and instantly shot up, ready to run from me.

"Santiago, don't move." I ordered using my Alpha voice. She froze and turned back to look at me. She wasn't dumb, she knew exactly what I was going to tell her.

"Unless you're here to congratulate me on advancing to round two of the scrimmage, I don't want to hear it. I'm fine, I feel better," she says defensively already countering what I was about to say.

I sighed as I took her shaky hands and held them firmly in mine. I had been pushing her so hard these past couple of weeks, and she had been trying her absolute best in spite of her medical condition. I could see how bad she wanted to win, how determined she was. I saw the fire in her as she made her way through the obstacle course as if she had done it before. Even when she was so close to losing, she had mustered the strength to push forward fast enough to get her to the finish line in second place.

But then she had ran and threw up her entire dinner, maybe her lunch and breakfast too. She was pale, and her skin glistened with sweat, so she was probably dehydrating. Her eyes began to water, and she was on the verge of some serious tears.

"I'm sorry Deianira, but I can't advance you to the next round of the scrimmage."

Not far away I could see the camera crew filming our entire conversatiom for the show. I hated that this moment was going to be broadcasted on national were-television. She nearly fell into my arms, taking deep breaths.

"Deianira-"

"Adrian, you can't do this to me! I made it! I was second! I should be able to advance!" She cried breathlessly.

"You're not in the condition to advance. You're overheated, quickly dehydrating, and your threw up most of the fuel you had to burn. The second round is only going to be harder and more intense, we can't risking you passing out halfway or exerting yourself to the point where you can't particpate in the Tournament which means I'll have to send you home."

She gasped and pulled away from me. Anger overtook her as she ran away from me. "Deianira!"

I ran up to her easily catching up to her since not only was she weak and exhausted, but I was an Alpha male who was pretty much at the peak of my physical condition. I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her to me. We were now in the dark tunnel that led to the locker rooms. "Let go of me!" She screamed.

"Just what were you planning in doing huh?" I question.

She shruggled against me, but I was easily able to restrain her. She was like an angry toddler, trying to fight someone more than twice as strong. It was kind of ridiculous.

"Stop it! You're only going to tire yourself out more and piss me off!" I growled. She let her legs give way underneath her letting her body fall practically limp. She cried, and all I could do was help her.

Just a few yards away I could hear my cousin Josh announcing the next part of the obstacle course. He called out the remaining four, making sure to explain that the third place from Group B would be advancing since Deianira was not in the condition to continue on. Deianira turned and wrapped her arms around me as she cried.

"I've worked so hard Adrian. This isn't fair," she cried. I kissed her sweaty forhead and sighed and I rubbed her back.

"I know Santiago. I know." I say gently.

"Now I'm gonna be sent home. I'm sorry," she sniffled and I could feel her body shake with emotion.

"Hey, don't talk like that. This is only the beginning and you have nothing to be sorry for because I'm so proud of you." She looked up at me and rubbed her eyes.

"Proud of me?" She repeated.

"Yes, I'm very proud of you. You've brought up your ranking and made sure to take care of your health in the process. I know how hard you've worked to get to where you are now." I acknowledged. She sighed and rested her head on my chest.

The gun shot sounded and I know the final round of the obstacle course had started. "Are you okay now? We should be heading back, I need to be there when they announce the winner."

I didn't want to want to seperate from her in what seemed like her time of need, but I had to keep up appearances. Some of the other girls had already seen me run after Deianira twice today. I couldn't afford to miss the end of the ceremony.

Deianira nodded in understanding as she pulled away from me, once again wiping the tears that had been overflowing moments ago. She frowned at her hands and wiped them on the back of her shorts.

"You look really hot in your uniform by the way." I winked and a small blush crept up on her face. It was really cute.

"Thanks, I guess." She clasped her fingers together tightly and rocked on her heels a bit.

I laughed and pulled her in for a kiss. I didn't want this moment to end, but as soon as I heard the crowd roar I realized that it was time for me to go. Deianira looked at me, her eyes glossed over with what looked like disappointment, and gave me a reassuring smile as we walked up the steps and out the tunnel.