Chapter 37

♡ Deianira ♡

I was happy that Marilyn won the scrimmage, but I was still upset ahout the fact I was forced to sit out. I got dirty looks from the other girls and I even heard some of them mutter rude things under their breath. I don't know what I did to deserve that kind of attention but I was over it. I had neither the energy or will to even dig deep into it and fight it.

Marilyn ran over to me and hugged me as she showed me her medal and two thousand dollar check. "I'm really happy for you Marilyn, you did good out there." I say more bitterly than I would've liked.

Her face went blank as she looked at me. "It sure doesn't seem like it..."

"No, Marilyn I'm not freaking jumping for joy. I'm sorry, I'm glad that you won but I'm upset at the fact that I was forced out of the running. It's not fair that I didn't even get a chance to compete. You know as well as anyone how hard I've worked."

Her expression softened and she tucked a strand of stray hair behind her ear. "I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking. I know it must really suck for you but hey, it's only the beginning sweetheart."

"That's the thing. What if it's not just the beginning? What if I have to sit out all week or I end up in the stupid hospital! I don't understand why my body has to start failing me just when I need it the most! God! It's like I've taken two steps forward and a fucking million backward!" I vented. I wiped my hand down my face in frustration, I was so disappointed in myself.

I sighed and tried to regain my composure. "I think I should tell Adrian to send me home now. I don't have a chance."

"I'm not sending you home."

Great. Not only had I gained the attention of most of the girls and several bystanders, but I let Adrian and both of his cousins hear my verbal explosion.

I rolled my eyes and looked away not wanting to respond. I wouldn't win an argument with him now, especially since I felt like half my brain was turning to mush. "Marilyn, I've got to go talk to my visitors. I'll see you later okay?"

She nodded and gave me another hug, that I recieved more than her first. Adrian had his eyes fixed on me with determination and curiousity. It was like he was trying to figure out what it was that made me tick. It was obvious he didn't understand me and right now, I didn't want him to.

Marilyn walked over to him and he casually wrapped his arm around her waist, congratulating her. It hurt me to watch, so I decided to hurry and get out of his presence. I texted my cousin and Ruby to both meet me in front of the Arena, where Franco and Dellanira was also waiting.

Ruby stood their looking great, well better than I had seen her look in a long while. Her naturally red hair was styled in a girly half-up hairstyle, while she had carefully outlined her green eyes with black eyeliner making them pop. She wore a simple floral top and dark jeans along with a pair of black heels I had never seen before. Meanwhile, Rogan towered over Ariana, pulling her into a tight, intimate embrace.

When Ruby caught sight of me she nearly screamed. "Deianira!"

I smiled and opened my arms as she ran into them happily. "Oh my gosh, I've missed you so much. It hasn't been the same without you."

"I've missed you too Ruby! Oh man we have to catch up soon. I have about 10 minutes before I have to leave in order to make it back by curfew."

She sighed in disappointment, but nodded in understanding. Keira walked up to me and hugged me tightly. "Hey, girl. I saw you kicking ass out there."

She smiled wide flashing me her perfect pearly whites and causing her eyes to close slightly. "Yeah, right. Don't act like you didn't see my medical disaster."