Chapter 41

♡ Deianira ♡

By the end of the night Adrian and I had managed to take a step forward in our growing relationship. We set boundaries and talked about what we wanted from one another.

I wanted love, security, and time to heal while he wanted my trust and my heart. So that's what we were working towards. Adrian pulled into a parking slot in the Resort parking structure. He leaned in a cupped the nape of my neck, pulling me towards him.

His lips met mine, and I savored the sweetness. Once again I felt that hunger deep inside of me resurface, hitting me with an intensity that scared the hell out of me.

This was what I needed.

Adrian walked me up to my room and kissed me again before I reentered my suite. It was late, so I didn't hesitate to shower, put on some night clothes, hop into my bed, and drift off into a peaceful slumber.

I woke up the next morning feeling better than I have in a long time. Things were starting to brighten up a bit, and I hope this time it would stay that way for a while. Franco had preached about the power of positive thinking since the day he met me, and his message was finally starting to resonate.

I pulled on my clothes and met Marilyn for breakfast, the other girls stared as I entered the room. Some looked like they were planning my demise while others looked more sad.

"What's everyone's deal?" I finally ask as I take a seat next to Marilyn.

"They've released several polls since the airing of our interviews last Sunday. They've finally concluded the first ones, and some aren't happy with the results." Marilyn bites down on a piece of bacon, looking like none of it made a difference to her. She slides the magazine towards me, and I noticed that there was at least two of the same ones on at all the other tables.

Everyone was reading it.

I looked down at the first poll: Best First Impression. Marilyn came in first with twenty-three percent, then Aubrey with eighteen percent, while I was third with twelve percent. The others ranged from eight to zero-point-five percent.

The next one was best personality where again Marilyn placed first with a good thirty percent vote, while I came in second with twenty-two percent, and a hipster came in third. I could see why the others were so upset, since they didn't have great public support. More often then not public opinion influences the outcome of the actual Selection. I've seen it happen plenty of times. Besides, most of the girls were hoping to be liked by the public since it would mean they would have plenty of opportunities waiting for them if they didn't weren't selected.

Most of the other polls were about small things like best hair, cutest dress. However there were also more important ones like Most Likely to Be Selected and Who Would You Eliminate? Underneath each poll were comments that analyzed the people's responses and rationalized it.

The good thing about it was that I could see that Marilyn and I had a very favorable public image, while the others would have to step it up. The bad thing was that, we would be even more of a target then we were before.

"Congrats, you're one of the Summer Selection Sweethearts. The American were-world loves you." I slide the magazine back over to Marilyn just as Caitlyn joined us at the table.

"Thanks, I'm sure you'll be one one in the next issue. You're fan base is growing by the hour." She gives me a small smile, which I could tell was a little off. I think she was starting to see me as a threat as well, maybe she didn't expect me to be liked by the public. Clearly it had shocked everyone.

"I just finished talking to Brooklyn, she's taking everything so hard and she's afraid that she's about to be eliminated. She's getting desperate."

Marilyn and I weren't surprised by that, we'd seen it coming and frankly we didn't care that much since Brooklyn was starting to show her true colors. She was manipulative, deceitful, and greedy. She wanted the fame, money, and power and she would sell her soul for it. So I expected her to ditch us and side with the enemies, hoping to take us down so she can climb up the ranks.

I was just sad that it would have to be this way. I wanted to come out on top, but I wasn't desperate. I had a solid line, that I vowed to never cross in order to keep my integrity, dignity, and respect.

"You do realize that she's going to turn on us. I hate to say it, but she's about to be out for blood and she sees everyone as a threat at this point." Marilyn scratches her brow the way she does when she's thinking hard about something, and sighs.

"Yeah, I know. We have to definitely keep an eye out. I feel like I literally have to sleep with one eye open, especially since we share a room. Who knows what her desperation will drive her to do." I whisper.

Caitlyn looked between the two of us, and I could sense her hesitation to believe it all. But I knew that she was seeing the same thing as Marilyn and I. She couldn't ignore it or deny it. The signs were clear as day.

"I just wish it didn't have to be this way, I thought we were all going to be friends. I mean we're all competing against each other but it doesn't mean that we have to stab each other's backs and resort to sabotage."

"Oh don't I wish. We all knew that there would be some fierce conpetition. It's like the freaking Hunger Games, we're all fighting for life, hoping to be the last one standing and be drowned in fame, riches, and of course the love of a hot alpha. I promised to be loyal, and that's what I'll do to the end. I want to win this the right way."

"Me too." Marilyn smiles, and something clicked between us, like things were set back in place since she knew I was sincere.

"Me three." Caitlyn smiles and takes both our hands. "We're going to stick together and fight through this and may the best woman win."