Chapter 8

The next day I woke up early and as always, I checked to see if I had gotten a call, text, email, or voicemail from Liam. It's been four days and I was losing my mind. Had he started fighting yet? No, surely it would be on the news or something. I took a deep breath and hoped that things would work itself out. Liam and his little army would fight, they would win, and he will come back for me.

I ate breakfast with Ruby then drove her to work at the diner. She hadn't been fortunate to be given a car. So when I found out that she walked 5 miles to work every morning I insisted on driving her in the mornings and picking her up in the evenings after she was done.

Then I went to my new job where I became lost in my work. Today I had to be custodian since one of the other girls was out sick. That was another thing about being an Omega, you were prone to illness while other werewolves had a nearly perfect immune system.

My head shot up as I recognized a few voices. I walked back behind the concessions counter and watched as Adrian and his two little brothers entered the plaza.

He smiled as he recognized me. "So you work here?"

"I have to put food on the table somehow," I looked down at the boys who waved at me. "Hi boys."

"I never thought someone like you would be working at a place like this." He says as he looks around.

"Well...there's only a few places in town that hire Omegas like me." I respond. His jaw nearly dropped. "May I help you Adrian? I have bathrooms and a theater to clean in the next five minutes," I say changing the subject.

He cleared his throat and looked down at his little brothers. "What do you guys want?"

Jeremy asked for a large popcorn and a slurpee while little Aspen just pointed to a box of Sour Patch Kids. "He doesn't speak much does he?"

"No. He had a traumatic experience a few years back and hasn't talked since," I handed them their snacks and sighed.

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"It's okay. He's fine, he just doesn't like to talk," Jeremy says as he devours a mouthful of popcorn.

"That'll be $16.48," I say gently. Adrian pulled out a fifty dollar bill and handed it to me.

"Keep the change," he says smoothly. The way he just threw his money in my face didn't impress me at all.

I forced a smile and did what I was paid to do. "Thank you. Hope you enjoy your movie," I said fakely.

I'm sure he could've sensed the slight sarcasm in my voice. But instead of walking away like a good boy he sent his little brothers to the theater and told them to save him a seat. "Did I do something to you?"

"Why would you think that?" I asked innocently.

"Because you've been acting pretty passive aggressive. I'm sorry if I've done anything to offend you," he says gently. I sighed and looked up into his soft green eyes.

"You haven't offended me," I closed the cash register and motioned one of the other concession workers to come over.

"Why don't you like me then?" He asks.

"First of all, I just met you yesterday. Second of all, just because I'm not one of those girls who are head over heels in love with you or kiss your rich Alpha butt doesn't mean I don't like you." I shrugged.

He gave me an amused look. "Hmmm true."

Veronica walked over and I could see in her eyes that she knew exactly who Adrian was. She was probably in his fan club or something.

"Glad we cleared that up your highness. Now if you'll excuse me I have toilets to clean. If you need anything else, a drink, some snacks, or simply a female to flirt with, Veronica should be able to take care of you," I winked at him before I walked over to the custodial cart.

"What time are you off beautiful?" He asked. I nearly choked on my own oxygen. Was he talking to me?

I looked over my shoulder to see him to see him looking directly at me, or should I say directly at my butt. "Why do you want to know?"

"Because I want to take you out silly," he says with an amused look.

"Sorry hun, I'm not interested in dating right now," I decline.

"Wow, you are so...different," he says as he tilts his head to the side.

"Have a nice day Adrian," I smiled and hurried off to the girls restroom where he couldn't harass me. A smile began to form on my lips, why was I enjoying this? Maybe it was because I just brought Mr. Alpha back down to earth. Maybe it was because I had caught him by surprise. Maybe it was because, I liked knowing that he was attracted to me and wanted to take me out.

I shook the thoughts out of my head. You have a job to do Nira. You don't have time to sit here thinking about Adrian, especially when you have your mate out there facing sudden death.

To my annoyance Adrian and his brothers stayed for the entire day. They watched about 4 different movies. After each one they came back for more concessions and took their sweet time exiting the theater. And as part of the cleaning crew, I had to wait for them to leave, so I could tidy up the place before the next showtime, which meant he had several chances to irritate me even more. Each time we exchanged words he would say something smooth, and wink before walking away. I found his persistence annoying, and he probably found my resistance annoying.

So I guess we were even.