Chapter 38

♡ Deianira ♡

The next morning I said hardly a word as I got ready for the day. I didn't change into my clothes since I decided I was just going to sit out and wait to be eliminated. I was in way over my head, and I'm tired of this disappointment. I already have a good mount of money earned from compensation, and to be honest, this whole Selection has been nothing but a huge gamble and in the end, a major let down.

As I walked into the Arena, I turned around the corner surpassing the locker room which confused both Franco and Dellanira.

"Deianira, you just passed the locker room," Della says.

I kept walking, knowing that if I opened my mouth and said anything she wpuld respond by an argument and lecture. I didn't feel like fighting and I wasn't in the mood to be scolded, so I walked faster in an attempt to separate from them for a while.

"Deianira!" Franco wrapped his fingers around my arm and gripped onto it tightly. He leaned in so that his lips were just an inch away from my ear. "I know what you're doing and you need to quit it."

"I appreciate everything that you've done for me Franco, but I need you to leave me alone now. It's time for me to go." I tried to pull away from him but his grip was too stong.

"Do you think Adrian is going to accept this from you? Well he's not so you should just stop all of this and go to the locker room meeting," he says firmly.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance and tugged my arm away. "Damn it Franco I said no!"

He gave me a small smirk before letting me go. He shouldn't be happy or satisfied; something must've been wrong. "Suit yourself. Don't say I didn't warn you."

"Whatever," I mutter under my breath before walking towards the stands to join the audience. As soon as I passed the entrance, I was drowned in screams and ambushed by screaming girls and rowdy boys.

"Deianira can I have an autograph?"

"Deianira can I get a picture!"

"I love you Deianira! Whoo!"

"I hope you win Deianira, you're my favorite!"

I wasn't able to process able to process what was before I was whisked away into a room by three Sigmas that had been standing nearby.

The room was pretty dark since the only light came from a smll window in the far left side of the room. Meanwhile, Franco leaned against the wall wearing the same smirk next to my sister who was on her phone. Not far from them, stood Adrian who stopped pacing to look at me. He opened his mouth, no doubt ready to blow my ears out with his yells, but he paused and released a deep breath.

"I'm really getting tired of this Deianira," he sighs. He ran his fingers through his soft dark hair and sat down in a plush leather chair behind the desk. I didn't see anger in his eyes, but I saw the hurt, the pain, and the hopelessness that seemed to darken his usually vibrant green eyes. Even his lips slightly slumped into a downward curve of disappointment.

I wasn't heartless, and over the few weeks I've been here, I've warmed up to Adrian. I liked him, and under better circumstances I know we could've been magic. "Then just give up and send me home."

Adrian shook his head. "You know what your problem is? You understimate everything. It's your fatal fucking flaw." The frustration was clear in his voice, and just that quickly his entire face hardened.

"Excuse me?"

"Damn it Deianira! You heard me perfectly clear! You understimate me. You underestimate how much I want this. You understimate yourself and what your capable of. You fail to see the big picture, what's important, and all the possibilities of us having a future!" he rants. I bit my lip and looked dow towards my shoes.