Chapter 39

♡ Adrian ♡

At this point it's impossible for me to contain myself and get a good grip on my emotions when it comes to Deianira. She drives me nuts!

I entered the meeting room where the coaches and my cousins, Jeffrey and Josh Peterson, who were helping me host the events. In the center of the room was the wheel of events that would be spun to determine what the girls will be competing in next. It was covered by a sheet that would be taken down once all the girls arrived.

As I had already predicted, some of the girls had already surrounded my cousins asking them all sorts of questions while the others talked to me. But honestly speaking, I only wanted to talk to one person right now and she was probably busy trying to find a way to leave me. I guess I held onto her so tightly because she reminded me of someone I had lost a long time ago. But I was determined not to make the same mistake twice.

There was two hours before the next tournament started and people were already entering the Arena Most were no doubt hoping to see someone important or famous to get pictures or an autograph. Most of the girls had arrived except for Marilyn and Deianira so I decided to give them a few more moments to get here. Deianira had no intention of getting dressed but after my last "talk" with her she finally complied. So now, Marilyn was probably helping her pull herself together.

"What are we waiting for Adrian?" Jeffrey asked his blue eyes looking at the girls who had now taken their seats.

"Some of the girls are running late. I was just giving them a few more minutes to get here before we start."

He crossed his arms and looked back towards the girls, counting how many were there. "There's only 2 missing, we need to get started. They knew what time to be here and if they miss anything they could be filled in later."

I sighed and raked my fingers through my hair. He was right, I had too many other people that I had behind me and I couldn't afford to stall things for just two girls. I walked to the front and cleared my throat as I began to address the girls.

I started by talking about the scrimmage and telling them how well they all did, and by the time I finished Deianira and Marilyn had both walked in. Deianira kept her eyes low, while Marilyn smiled at me as they slipped into the back row quietly. I rubbed my hands together before pullig the sheet off the wheel and waiting for the girls to settle down. They were so excited, and anxious which amused me a bit.

I spun the wheel and it landed on doubles tennis. Marilyn squeezed Deianira's hand and the other girls whispered and chatted amongst themselves trying to find their partners. "Okay girls, you have 20 minutes to stay here and decide on who your partners will be. Then you will all have 20 minutes to get changed and report to the tennis courts where you will be able to talk to your guests and interact with some of your fans that have arrived early. I won't be able to stay for the first few games but I will be here for the final one this evening. So good luck."

They clapped and I was followed out the room by my cousins.

"So how is Deianira doing? Did the medics clear her for today's events?" Josh asks curiously.

"She's been cleared, she has to take some medicine before she competes and she's been given orders to keep hydrated and to step out as soon as she begins to feel nausea or like she will faint. She'll be fine." I explain.

"That's good, she didn't look so good yesterday. She does look better now though," he says.

"Just wait until she's in that little tennis outfit!" Jeff says excitedly. I glared at him, hoping that my stare would shoot daggers into his chest. There was no way in hell that I was going to ignore the fact that Jeff had been paying so much attention to the few girls in my court instead the hundreds of girls that worship the ground he walks on. I especially didn't like that he was checking out Deianira, in fact, I hated it.

"Stop it Jeff. I don't want you checking out the girls in my court like that." I warn. Jeff threw his hands up in surrender and chuckles.

"Hey, I don't see the harm in looking. I mean come on, it's not like I'm sleeping with them or making out with them in the corner." He says

"I can't wait until you find your mate. You need some chick to put you in your place." I shook my head as we entered the lobby.

"Mmmm...I've been meaning to talk to you about that." He says warily.

I look up at my cousin and saw the same guilty and scared expression he always had when he either had done something wrong or he had some bad news.

I wonder which one it was.

♡ Deianira ♡

I sighed as I wiped my face in my hands. We were freaking doing doublels tennis; possibly one of the most challenging sports I've had to train in besides lacrosse, soccer and competitive swimming.

"Marilyn you should find a partner that would actually help you win." She shook her head and jumped up out of her seat.

"No way, you're good. It's just not in your comfort zone. Besides, I wouldn't want anyone else to be my partner, so get that round tush up and lets go get ready." She held outnher hand and I hesitated before I chose to take it.

Three hours later we were standing on the court, glistening with sweat. We were tied for the game point and this was the last game before the final match. Marilyn served and it was matched by the red headed Einsteinette. I saved it, swinging my arm in a quick fluid motion, returning the fury green sphere to the other side. The ruthless jock that had been partnered with the Einsteinette, sent the ball flying back towards Marilyn at an alarming speed.

Marilyn however, swung her racket sending the ball flying back at such a speed that both of our opponents couldn't counter it. The crowd roared and I smiled happily. I was too tired to run and celebrate our victory with a ton of energy. However, Marilyn took the time to turn to the crowd and do her little victory dance. I looked up to see that Adrian had finally arrived, smiling in amusement as he looked down at a twerking Marilyn. When she finally looked his direction they locked eyes, and Marilyn began to blush.

I couldn't say I was happy to see the two exchanging what seemed like intimate looks. It was almost as if they were simply communicating with their eyes and smiles. It sickened me...literally.

I quickly walked off the court, and ran into the nearest bathroom to throw up. I wanted to be away from the thousands of eyes that had been watching but I quickly began to rethink that. Maybe I should have done it publicly so that I could be excused for the rest of the competition, but then again I would force Marilyn to forfeit.

I walked out of the stall to see several girls looking at me with either awe, concern, or disgust. I looked in the mirror of the sink to see my horrific reflection. My hair, that had been straight earlier, was now starting to curl up. My face was red and flushed, and the sweat on my face dripped off my chin and jaw. My lips looked dry since it was obvious that I was now dehydrated.

A woman entered the room and when I turned I recognized her as the doctor Adrian had been sending me to. "Are you okay dear?" She asked.

"No." I say honestly.

"I can see that now. You need some water and gatorade ASAP. Let's get you back into the stadium and get you checked out by the med team. You have 20 minutes before your next match and we need to be able to clear you in order for you to advance." She says as she gently put her hand on my shoulder and guided me back towards the tennis courts.

I felt his eyes, but I didn't bother to look. I was still angry with him for making me stay when I clearly wanted to go. I had already made it clear to him that I couldn't do this, not when my body was working against me.

The doctors checked me out and Marilyn stood by giving me encouragement. "Is she cleared?" She asks.

"Yes, she's cleared. She's not flushed, she's not experiencing any dizziness or faintness and she no longer feels nauseas. She just needs another bottle of water since she's dehydrating quicker than normal." The medic says.

Marilyn smiled and squeezed my shoulder. "You see. I told you we'd get through this."