Chapter 31

♡ Adrian ♡

I couldn't believe that this was happening.

She meant it when she said that she'd do this the hard way, and I had clearly underestimated just how strong she was. I kissed her back, hungry for more of her. I couldn't explain how good it felt to be with someone like her. I knew she didn't care about the money and she could careless about the status. She just wanted to be happy, and I knew this kiss was meant to prove to me that she could do this; that she wanted it just badly too.

She pulled away out of breath and for a moment I could see how much this was hurting her, but then she quickly hid it with a gentle smile. "I want this Adrian, and I promised you that I'd try my hardest. I don't break my promises."

I gently touched the side of her face and I could see her grimace as if I had burned her. "Deianira, as much as I'd like to believe that you can overcome the bond with willpower, I can't. If you want this, you'll take the pills and show up to the appointment I scheduled for thursday afternoon. Us being like this...shouldn't be painful. It shouldn't hurt."

She looked down guiltily. She was aware that I could see and sense her pain, and I was glad she didn't deny it because it would only make me mad. "I don't want to be in debt, Adrian. I can't take this from you knowing that I could piss you off and you could send me home just like you're threatening now. There's no guarantee that there will even be an us, when you could choose someone else in the end."

"So that's what it's about? You don't want to feel like you owe me anything?"

"That's exactly it." She gripped onto the table near the door and I could see she was about to pass out. With one fluid motion, I quickly scooped Deianira into my arms and carried her back to her bed.

"How about we make a deal?" I offer.

She narrowed her red, watery eyes as if she was trying to see if I was lying. "What kind of deal?"

"If you take the meds, continue the competition and win you won't owe me a dime because we would be engaged to be married anyway. If you get eliminated, and go home. Then I can arrange for you to come work for me and my family to erase your debts, and I can assure you it would be better than working at some crappy movie theater." I could see a small smile come across her face. No doubt she was remembering the day I had spent at her job trying to get to her.

"Deal. I'll do it, but I need to have it in writing and I have to see what kind of job you would be offering." She says gently.

I smiled, happy that we could finally reach an agreement. "You got it." I kissed her on her forehead and stood up straight. "Remember twice a day, one in the morning and one in the evening and your appointment will be at the same place you were last night."

She nodded in understanding and her eyelids began to droop. She was drained, and she needed rest. I looked over to Franco who had been watching the entire time. I mind linked him, telling him to make sure she does what she needs to and to let me know if she's not. He nodded silently, and I said goodbye to Dellanira just as Brooklyn, Deianira's roommate walked in.

She was shocked to see me in her room, and she looked over to see Deianira laying in her bed, falling asleep. "Hi Adrian, I didn't expect to see you here."

"I was just checking in on your roommate. She's been quite sick."

"Are you going to send her home? You know, so she could get better?" She asks. I didn't know whether she was just concerned or curious, or if she was just hoping that I'd be sending her home.