Chapter 49

I mean it Liam. Get out of my head now.

We need to talk.

I don't want to talk to you.

You and I both know that's not true.

Liam please, I am begging you. Stop. There is nothing that we need to discuss at this point. You made your choice months ago.

And I'm making another one now. You are going to talk to me whether you like it or not and trust me...you can't avoid me forever.

Instead of giving in to my urge to ball up in a corner and cry, I went to my classes. It was the worst thing I could possibly do to distract myself from what was going on but it was what needed to be done. I needed to show Adrian that I was okay, I couldn't let Liam come here and ruin everything for me. I wouldn't let all my hard work be in vain. I had to fight back.

Three days later I found myself sitting in front of the fireplace of the cabin. I smiled as I remembered the last time I was here. Adrian and I had gotten close to going all the way...

In that moment I couldn't think about anyone else and I knew I didn't want to be anywhere else. But with Liam's reappearance, all those repressed feelings had resurfaced. Now all I saw was his face. All I could think about was how much I truly loved him. Liam had been my best friend and in the last few days before he left he was my lover. Our connection was deep, and I would be stupid if I thought breaking that connection would ever be possible.

But maybe I didn't need to break that connection. If I could muster enough courage to talk to Liam face to face, maybe he'll see reason and let me go. I mean could he really expect me to take him back when he broke my heart the way he did? Then again, he never said he wanted me back. Maybe he just wanted to get closure.

"Deianira?" I spun around and spotted Adrian near the entrance of the room. He unzipped his leather jacket and placed it on the back of the chair without breaking eye contact with me.

"Yes, Adrian." I answered.

"How have you been feeling?" He asked before gesturing towards the other empty chair.

"Uh, okay I guess." I admitted. Adrian sits down and cracks his knuckles. He must have been nervous.

"I know you've been having a tough time with all of this. I heard you've been doing well in your classes too. I'm glad that you aren't letting your condition stop you from moving up in the competition."

"I hope my efforts aren't in vain..." I look down at my hands as Adrian sighs.

"I hope they aren't either. That depends entirely on you."

"Why?" I asked, intrigued by what he was suggesting.

"Before I give you that choice I need you to tell me the truth and the whole truth. Who is your mate? Why didn't he claim or reject you? Where is he now?"

My muscles tense, and my heart began to beat rapidly. I knew the answers to all of those questions, well at least most of them.

"Adrian I-I can't." I rub the back of my neck nervously, and looked down at the floor.

"What are you so afraid of? Has the guy sworn you to secrecy?" He asked.

"No, well yes. Sort of," I shrugged.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because he said that people knowing about us could put me in danger. He didn't really go into detail but, when he told me I understood," I explained.

"Well you can tell me now. I'll make sure you have all the protection you need. My father has friends in high places, we can keep you safe."

I couldn't bring myself to look at Adrian. I was too afraid of what might do or say once he found out about Liam.
Deianira.