Nine

Klaus

     I enter my house and move to the living room to fix myself a drink. Rebekah sits on the couch with a glass of wine in her hand staring at the fire. "I didn't see you at the party sister."

"How could you it was packed. Caroline has a lot of people who love her" she said.

 "Where did you go?"

"Stefan and I had a talk and we both realized that spark we had is gone. When I entered the party again the birthday girl was in your lap so I decided to just come home" she informed me with curious eyes. I couldn't help but smile.

"She found out about Tyler and his little wolf Hayley poor thing seen it with her own eyes. She wouldn't go to the party without me. That little coward showed up with Hayley on his arm. Apparently he had introduced her as a classmate partner with him in some type of project. That maneuver was simple to make him jealous."

 "No one deserves that kind of heartbreak, especially not on their birthday" Rebekah stated.

"Bekah, I'm sorry about you and Stefan but you'll find someone who loves you. You my beautiful sister deserve love more than anyone I know. I promise this time I will do nothing to interfere"

      She stood with tears in her eyes hugged me and kissed my cheek. "Thank you brother. Nik may I have Caroline's phone number? I would like to call and apologize for leaving her party early."

"Just use my phone it's on the counter." I sit down finishing my drink thinking back on the amazing night I'd just had. Rebekah comes racing in from the kitchen"Nik you need to get to Caroline's house NOW." I stood looking at her confused for a second before I whooshed there. Stefan answers that door "Klaus? You came."

"Rebekah told me I had to get here right away what happened? Where is Caroline?"

"Liz," Damon called from the living room "invite him in." Caroline mother, the sheriff comes from the kitchen with tear filled eyes. I look up at Stefan and back to the sheriff. "No" I said quietly.

 "Klaus, please come in" she said then walking back into the kitchen. I get into the house and rush up to her; she is on the bed practically motionless. She weakly opens her eyes."That looks bad, my apologies. This shouldn't be happening to you today of all days. I love birthdays."

  "Yeah, aren't you like a billion or something?" She retorts with a small smile."You'll have to adjust your perception of time when you become a vampire Caroline. Celebrate the fact that you are no longer bound by trivial human conventions. You're free."

 "No... I'm dying" she reminded me as if I could forget.

 "And I could let you; die, if that's what you want. If you really believe your existence has no meaning. I thought about it myself once or twice over the centuries, truth be told. But I'll let you in on a little secret, there's a whole world out there waiting for you, great cities and art and music, genuine beauty, and you can have all of it." I would not save her without her permission; from the moment I first laid eyes on her I knew that I would never take any choose from her big or small. "I don't want to die. I want to have a thousand birthdays" she told me stair into my eyes.I bite his wrist as I pick Caroline up to give her my blood

"There you go, sweetheart. Have at it" she begins to drink. "Happy birthday, Caroline" I say kissing to top of her head. After she is finished drinking she falls into a heavy sleep. I walk down the stair and into the living room. They all stand. "She is fine, just sleeping it off." I turn to look at her mother "Caroline needs to come stay with me and my family for a while."

 "Are you kidding me?" Damon yells.

"Liz don't do that please, he is a monster" Elena added.

  I glare at them for a second and look back at her. "I'm the only person who can protect her from them" I reminded her.

"No humans live with you what stopping anyone for coming in?" She wondered.

 "It is a house of three Originals and one very strong hybrid. No one gets in and stays in" I informed her.

 "You are welcome there anytime and the moment she wants to leave I will let her. I give you my word" I added.

"Ok. I will pack some things for her and then you could take her with you."

 "LIZ! Are you serious?" Damon demanded.

 "She is my daughter I will do whatever it takes to protect her and right now HE is the only option." She disappeared for ten minutes and returned with a bag of Caroline's belongings. She held the bag out to me and I took it from her bowing my head in promise that I would keep her daughter safe. I went up to Caroline's room I slid my one hand under her legs and the other on her back and life her with easy, As soon as I had her she wrapped her arms around my neck. We whooshed to my house, I laid her on the bed in the guess room.