Chapter Thirty-Three - "I'm as manly as you are, let's compare our stubble."

Start from the beginning

“I’m not going into their house with any skin showing, trust me.” I warned, and Rhys shrugged me off.

“What are they going to do? Bite me?” Rhys challenged, and I nodded. They do in fact bite. “Whatever, we’ll be fine, now come on! You’re going to make us late and late is bad.” Rhys nattered, opening the door and ramming me outside. It was warm outside, and I automatically felt myself begin to sweat. Rhys gave me a knowing look, like he knew I was sweating like a little donkey in July.

We set off down the road, neither of us speaking. It was a comfortable silence though, not an awkward one where you’re trying to think of something appropriate to say. And then by the time you’ve thought of something to say the opportunity has passed.

The chaos inside the house we were nearing could be heard from half a mile away, and by the time we were right outside the house, we could hear what was happening exactly. I saw Rhys cringe slightly as he knocked on the door, and I rolled my eyes at him and pressed the doorbell instead. Nobody would hear the knocking over the racket the three boys would make.

A stampede could be heard on the other side of the door, and I stepped back. Rhys followed my movements, and I could tell he was regretting his decision to come here. Sucker. A barking joined the stampede and the door sprung open, narrowly missing our bodies.

Little Timmy stood in the doorway, with the chocolate brown Labrador by his side. Mark was beside him, shoving a dirty sock in Timmy’s mouth, and Zack stood beside them, calmly taking us in. Zack was eleven, and the eldest. Next was Mark, who was seven and Little Timmy who was four.

“AAAAIIIIEEEEE IT’S A MALE!” Mark yelped, pointing at Rhys with the hand he wasn’t stuffing socks into Timmy’s face with.

“It’s a male with Annie?” Zack smirked, shooting Rhys an arrogant glare, and I knew they were sizing each other up, even though they’re years apart.

“Yay its Annie!” Timmy squealed, yanking the sock out of his mouth while Mark was busy examining Rhys. Timmy pushed through the dog, and launched himself at me, clinging to my legs. I wobbled slightly, and leaned against Rhys who hadn’t broken eye contact with Zack.

Mrs Brown appeared next, peering over her children and glancing at us relieved, “Oh you’re here, thank God! Right, Ronan and I are going now, we’ll be back at eleven, bed time’s at ten. They’ve been fed and just need a shower or bath. Timmy needs a story, and Zack can stay up until half ten if he behaves.” She nattered, nearly bubbling with excitement as she thought about leaving the house. I had always felt sorry for her, stuck at home with three little monsters all day.

And then she practically ran out the house and got into her car, nearly sagging with the thought of leaving her children at home. It must be shit to know that your parents actually look forward to leaving you at home.

Ronan’s chunky figure pushed through his children and out the door, avoiding looking at us guiltily. Hell, everyone knew what his children were like. He hopped into his car as smoothly as an obese man can, and the car sped away.

And so we were left alone with the three nightmares.

Zack still hadn’t looked away from Rhys, “I’m Zack.” He offered his hand out to Rhys, still not averting his gaze. Rhys shook his hand, a smirk playing on his lips.

“I’m Rhys.” He replied, and that male look of understanding went between the two. You know, that look that says ‘I’m as manly as you are, let’s compare our stubble.’.

“I’m Timmy.” Timmy grinned gummily up at me, and I my heart melted. Timmy was one of the perks to coming here, but he was also a terror in his own way. He would cling to you, and demand to be babied down. Zack scowled at Timmy, and smacked his arm.