Chapter Thirteen - Uhh, Can I Have Two?

Chapter Thirteen – Uhh, Can I Have Two?

The dimly lit candles set the atmosphere in here, and the rhythmic music chimed eerily also adding to the atmosphere. The bamboo dividers between the tables gave me splinters in my legs which also added to the atmosphere. Rhys making fun of the people around us also helped set the atmosphere.

“You see that woman over there, yeah? Well, she has a lover who is twenty four stone and four foot tall. He has sixty STD’S. Also she has had two abortions and has three kids from three different fathers. Her mother worked on a street corner, and she was addicted to weed and giving her kids tampons to play with.” Rhys whispered conspicuously.

I cracked up, spewing water back into my glass. Rhys chuckled quietly to me, mouthing “attractive “to me from across the table. I’m sure we got a few stares but it was worth it, hearing his stories about random people I’ve never seen before and never will again.

The bamboo screen behind Rhys shuffled slightly, and suddenly a head appeared over the top. Jane Burke’s bulbous head was the one that had popped up, and I internally groaned. Lovely. Ass-kisser number one was in the room.

It wasn’t my ass she kissed, but anyone and everyone’s who were more important than she was. It sounds wrong of me to say that, but it’s the truth. She aimed a sickly smile at Rhys, and strode out from between the screen to in front of our table. Rhys smiled, but I knew it wasn’t genuine. It didn’t reach his eyes the way it normally did. Meanwhile, I fought the urge to stab her with my butter knife.

“Oh Rhys! Imagine seeing you here! I haven’t seen you all week! And Amelia! You too!” Jane gushed, her cheeks puffing out with the force of her smug grin. She adjusted her posture so she was leaning over in front of Rhys, blatantly ignoring me.

“Well, I’ve been busy.” Rhys offered, his eyes staying on mine. Jane stiffened as she realized this also, and turned to face me.

“Amelia, how have you been lately?” Jane hissed, he eyes holding a glint.

“Well, Jessica, I’ve been busy too.” I beamed, trying not to laugh out loud.

Jane clenched her back teeth, and her eye twitched slowly. Rhys let out a noisy snigger that he hastily turned into a raspy cough. Then a small Chinese lady brought over our food, and she pushed Jane out of the way so she could get through. A disgruntled look flitted over Jessica’s face, before she recomposed herself and let out a small sigh before going back to her own table behind ours.

The Chinese lady was only four feet at most, yet the fine wrinkles around her warm eyes told us her true age. She smiled at me welcomingly, and shot Rhys the same look as she laid down our food. Which was the same dish. Creepy how we both ordered the same thing. The Chinese lady started to waddle – yes, waddle – away, but she was called to the table a few down from us.

“So, my one question.” I cautiously asked, unsure of if I wanted to bring this up. Rhys nodded once, twirling his fork around some noodle thing he had ordered on the side. I sat there, thinking about what I wanted to ask him. Who was his princess? Why was he so secretive? Why was he doing this? How could he afford treatment?

The Chinese lady wobbled back over, a grim expression making her look extremely pissed off the first thing that I noticed had changed. She began taking down our bamboo screen, mumbling under her breath as she did so. Rhys gaped at her, frowning also.

“Excuse me, but can you please leave that?” He asked confusion evident in his voice. She shook her head.

“Pig girl said to take it down, she give me fifty euro.” She chimed, scowling at Jane whose face was now clear.