Chapter Seventy-Seven | International Quidditch Tournament, June 2021

Start from the beginning

The tent his Dad always used for Quidditch tournaments wasn't the nicest, but it was cozy, and he had a room that he shared with Albus. Tonight though, everyone was at the Bowen tent, and the room was empty. No one would be back for hours. He had set a candle on the bedside table, which Hester thought was quite sweet.

"Should I take my top off?" she asked, though she never had before.

"If you – um – if you'd like."

"James," she huffed, though she seemed nervous. "This isn't the first time you've seem my breasts."

Maybe it was her use of the words breasts, how formal she was, but James knew then it was okay. He undid each button of her white, sleeveless shirt, kissing her skin after each one. Soon there was nothing between them, and he pressed his lips to her soft neck.

"It's okay," she whispered into his hair. "I love you."

James smiled and nuzzled her neck. "I love you, too."

Everything was going rather well, nothing hurt and both were comfortable, when Hester glanced to the side – and let out a shout.

"My hair!" she screamed, and James jumped out of bed (and Hester), grabbing his wand.

"Aquamenti!" he shouted, putting out the ends of Hester's hair. Once the candle, the bed and Hester were completely soaked, they stared at each other. James, completely naked, stood in the narrow gap between the beds. "You okay?" he asked, smiling sheepishly.

To James' surprise, Hester began to giggle. "You – I'm sorry." She gasped. "But it's sort of funny, don't you think?"

Though still mortified, James began to laugh. With a wave of his wand, the bed and Hester were dried and he climbed in beside her. "It could have been worse, for our first time." He chuckled, wrapping his arms around her.

"Jamie?"

"Hmm?"

"I do love you," she whispered. "Even if you set me on fire accidently."

He laughed into her kiss. "I love you, too, and I'm sorry Hessie. I wanted it to be special."

"Jamie, we're in a tent older than both our parents put together, and this bed is uncomfortable and smells a bit like grass." Hester said, then pressed her mouth to his, breathing him in. "But I am with you, and that's what matters."

"You are all that matters." He replied, a little choked up. "Do you still want to heal the world and I'll write about it?"

Hester nodded. "I'd do anything with you, and I'm happy that we did this, that we waited for now."

"Me, too." James had never felt so in love with another human before. "I don't want to think about a time without you by my side."

"We're getting rather sickly sweet," Hester said. "And we should probably get back, our folks might be wondering where we are."

"Just one more moment, Hes." James held her tighter. "I don't want to ever forget what you feel like right in this moment, not ever."

Softening, Hester nodded. "Okay, just one moment."

         Fireworks went off in the distance, but Ella wasn't paying any attention. She was waiting for the sound of a rattling, ancient car – the signal of Forrest's arrival. He had listened to the game in the shop she knew, and though he felt terrible for missing it, she wasn't upset. This was her job, and the store was Forrest's.