7.) Spiritual Ascend

Start from the beginning

"Yes," Mom agreed. "It's like three in the morning. What woke you up so early?"

"I heard a noise downstairs and wanted to check who or what made it." I sheepishly held up the umbrella. "I just found out it was just Amy getting a way too late midnight snack."

"Don't give me that look," Amy said taking a step back and holding her hands out in front of her when we all stared at her curiously. "I just needed to get my mind off something that was bothering me and that made me a bit hungry so I came down to eat some bread. But as I was getting the Nutella, I accidentally hit some of the pans down there," She gestured to the rack of silver ware and cooking materials. "And created that noise Leah heard."

"But what brings you both down here?" I voiced out to Mom and Dad.

It was weird to see them here when I know Amy and I haven't been making too much noise. And weirder that they brought things and acclaimed a stance of a professional warrior.

"Your dad heard the noise first then he woke me up and we came down. He was all like 'Honey, I think someone's breaking into our house. Stay here while I go check it out.'" Mom rolled her eyes at Dad and he gave her a loving smile in return. She smiled ruefully back at him. I raised an eyebrow at them. It was like they had this inside joke that was just kept between the two of them.

"Well," Dad said with another scratch of his head and a yawn. We all followed, yawning, one after the other. "Let's all go back to sleep. It's still too early neither to be awake nor to be eating breakfast."

We all climbed the stairs and back into our rooms. I pulled the covers over my head as soon as my body touched the bed.

Amy was having weird dreams again. I just started having freaky dreams myself after my sixteenth birthday last June seven.

I tossed and turned but I couldn't find any comfortable position so I took Pearl, my white teddy bear, from her place on my bedside drawer and cuddled up with her. Pearl was the best listener someone could ever ask for. She wouldn't say anything, not even a word to anyone. So I would tell her anything--and I mean anything. From my day in high school or about the boys I like and what I truly feel but was just hiding it from anyone. She knew about my dreams and how they happened. She knew everything.

I held her in my arms until my eyes began to droop. Today was going to be a new day.

That afternoon, I stayed on the porch thinking to myself about my summer here in Riverdale.

Jake stayed with us the whole summer because it was his last time to spend time with us. He slept in my room and we stayed until the wee hours of the morning.

Things were fun, especially with Jake, Tori, and Victor. It was just like old times when we would play hide-and-seek, tag, and a lot of other stuff that kids would normally play. Nobody's too old for games, especially fun ones.

There was also that time we went into the Park Forest and discovered a quiet little meadow. It had grass that caressed your feet, and a cool stream that ran through it. Wild flowers grew all over it and we decided to act like we were princes and princesses. We made flower tiaras and we laughed, played, and danced until the sun set. That was the best day in all my summers put together.

There was another time, last summer that we had a strong thunderstorm that made the earth turn to mud. After the storm, Jake, Amy and I went outside to check everything out. He accidentally slipped on the mud and landed in the muddiest pit. Amy and I laughed our butts off as we played his face over and over again in our minds resulting to Jake throwing two fistfuls of mud at us.

"Hey, Leah," a voice broke my thoughts. It was Nate. I looked up from the page on my textbook and my landed on his awesome body. I gulped and brought my eyes up to his face, past the smile on his lips and to those sapphire-like eyes. He stared at me and I stared back.