Stuck Part 1 - AU

Great, I'm running late again. You thought, trying to rush into your work building as fast as possible.

You ran to the stairs, finding them to be closed off with a man stood beside them.

"Excuse me, can we not use the stairs?" You asked.

"No, I'm sorry, love, you'll have to use the lift." He replied, understandingly.

You sighed, but nodded, knowing that if you didn't, you'd have no other way of getting up the stairs to work.

You usually opted for the stairs, finding them to be more helpful than lifts because you knew they could break down and that scared you.

Stepping in, you pressed the button to your floor before noticing someone else stepping inside next to you.

Looking to the side, you noticed it was Niall and you groaned to yourself at the annoyance.

Niall and you didn't see eye to eye and you tended to avoid him as much as possible. He had always been off with you, with everyone else he was kind and cheerful, but with you, he wasn't. Instead, he glared at you and you often shared a few words, but none that were particularly nice.

"Oh, it's you." He commented, with a sigh.

"Was that really necessary?" You scoffed, finding him to be immature.

What was his problem?

"I thought so." He shrugged as the lift started to move.

"Yeah, well it wasn't."

"Alright, someone's grumpy. No need to carry on the conversation." He chuckled.

"Well you started it." You retorted.

"Childish, aren't we?"

"I think your talking about yourself, there."

The little sniping you did at each other started again and it had all started from the second time you'd met.

You had simply asked him what his issue with you was and he replied by saying, "I don't have one, your just annoying." Which confirmed that he also annoyed you.

"Why are we stopping?" You asked as the lift came to a stop.

"I don't know, I'm not a genius." He replied, sarcastically.

"Yeah I already knew that." You retorted, pushing the help button before hearing the lift go quiet.

It scared you, being stuck in a lift, but the annoyance of Niall being stood next to you distracted you while you thought about ways to irritate him.

You awaited for an equally sarcastic comment back, but it didn't come, instead an intense sound of breathing came and when you turned to look at Niall, he was shaking uncontrollably.

He was sitting on the floor, his hands in his hair as they shook, his breathing quickening as his eyes widened, the blue showing that he was scared and anxious.

"Niall?" You asked, panicking as he tugged at his hair.

You'd never seen him like this before, he was in such a state.

"Niall." You tried again as this time he gripped your leg, holding on tightly as he curled himself around you, still shaking.

Kneeling to his level, you brushed his hair from his forehead and he looked up at you, letting go of your leg to grab your arms instead.

"Niall, calm down. It's okay, I've pressed the help button, we'll be out soon." You reassured him as he shook his head, his breathing increasing.

"I-I c-can hardly b-breath." He stuttered, his voice drained and struggling.