Chapter Twenty: Let It Be

Start from the beginning

          “Hmm?”

          “Why are we going so slowly?”

          He chuckled, staring at the road. “More time to talk. Besides, no one rides these roads at night usually, so we won’t be in anyone’s way.”

          “Oh…well can you go a little faster?”

          He shook his head and sped up a little. “Are you really so eager to get rid of me?”

          “No,” I said, annoyed. “I told you, I didn’t want to leave Chase alone.”

          “Oh, yeah. Forgot. Sorry.” We were probably going 20 miles per hour now which was an improvement. I didn’t mean to be rude if I was. In a way, he was actually trying to do something nice, considering I didn’t like where I was going.

          “Thank you for being so nice to me. And to Chase.” I tried to lighten the mood, and we were almost to Francis’ house.

          He chuckled. “It’s honestly no problem. I like you guys. I have no trouble being nice to you two, and don’t have to go out of my way or anything.”

          “You have to go out of your way for some people.”

          “Just one person, really.”

          “Who? If you don’t mind me asking.”

          “I don’t. And you don’t already know?”

          “I don’t think I do…”

          He laughed. “I thought it would have been obvious. I have to force myself to be nice to Kelly when she’s with Seth. Otherwise, I’m not outright mean, but I really just don’t like her.”

          “Oh, I get it. She’s really that bad?” We were close to the house now.

           “Actually, she’s worse,” he said, smirking. “But Seth really likes her so I keep my mouth shut.”

          “I wonder what I would do if Chase ever was involved with a girl who didn’t really care for him,” I said, not really meaning to say it aloud. I was really just thinking it, but it slipped.

          “My advice is to not get into it unless he’s gonna get seriously hurt. Otherwise, it’d cause friction between you two. Trust me, I know,” he said, smiling weakly. Friction between Chase and I is something I didn’t ever want; I don’t think we had ever really fought about anything, either.

          Were turned onto the road leading to the house. My stomach felt weird. I was happy to see Chase again, but I didn’t really want to see my mother right now. Or Francis, for that matter.

          When we pulled up, Brandon tuned the car off and looked at me.

          “Are you sure there isn’t anything you want to tell me before I leave?”

          “Yeah, I’m sure.” I didn’t sound very convincing and he noticed. He sighed.

          “Want me to walk you to the door?”

          I glanced at the door and saw it opening; Francis stepped out slightly. I saw Brandon’s jaw muscle twitch out of the corner of my eye.

          “I don’t think you should…”

          “You’re probably right. It’d be best for me not to.”