Chapter Thirty-Seven

Harry knocked softly on Katie's hospital room door and Terrance opened it slowly, giving him a sad smile. Harry softly greeted him and walked into the room, frowning when he didn't see Katie.

"Where is she?" he asked and Terrance sighed, sitting in the chair next to Katie's bed.

"They already took her to surgery. I told them you'd be here by two but they said they couldn't wait any longer. Katie told me what she wanted to say to you before she went into surgery. She wrote it down." Terrance said and Harry nodded, sitting in a chair on the other side of Katie's bed.

"Shall we start our discussion?" Harry asked and Terrance nodded, pulling the paper out of his pocket.

"Katie and I spent all morning talking about what we want for Adaley if Katie doesn't make it through the surgery or treatment. I'd love to take care of her but I can't because I don't want her flying all over the world with me. She needs to have a steady home. We obviously can't rely on our parents so Katie's obvious choice was you. We know that right now you don't have the steadiest life out there but soon you're going on a break. Ada has grown so attached to you and looks up to you so much. I believe she sees you like a father figure. Your choice is the final decision on this but after much discussion and thinking we've decided that if Katie doesn't make it we want you to adopt her and raise her as your own. We know she's going to have memories of Katie but we want her to be part of a family that we know will love her unconditionally." Terrance said and looked down at the paper in his hand. "On this paper is a letter Katie wanted me to read to you after I told you." Terrance told him, lowering his voice and Harry nodded, nervously licking his lips.

"Go ahead." Harry whispered and Terrance cleared his throat.

"Harry. When I first met you I thought you were going to be the biggest pain in my ass. When I finally got to know you and listened to you I realized that I was right." Harry chuckled at that. "You are definitely a pain in my ass but I love you just the same. You've gone from a stranger I've seen on TV to being like my older brother. You mean so much to me. You're my best friend, Harry. When I introduced you to Adaley I was scared that you wouldn't like her. I was scared that she wouldn't like you. After ten minutes I realized that my fears were silly. You and Adaley bonded faster than I could've ever hoped. When I told you about Ryan I was so terrified because I'd never trusted anyone the way I trust you. You've been so amazing with Adaley and me that it blew my mind. When you flew us out to England and showed us your family and your favourite things it meant the world to me. Your family was amazing. They took Ada in without question and they loved her like Terrance and I did. They loved me like I wish my parents had. I know that giving you custody of Adaley if something happens to me is the right choice. I hope that one day she grows to you know you as her father. As the man who raised her and loved her endlessly. She deserves it. I know that if I die she will always have a family with you, the boys, and your family. All I've ever wanted for my little girl was a true family and you gave that to her. To us. Thank you Harry. Thank you for loving us when we thought we were unlovable. You are truly an amazing man. I love you, Harry. Katie." Terrance finished and looked up at Harry who had tears rolling down his cheeks. Harry couldn't believe what Katie said in that letter. He wiped his face and looked up at Terrance.

"Can... Can I have that?" Harry asked softly and Terrance nodded, folding it back up and handing it to Harry. Harry slipped it into his back pocket and sighed heavily. "I need to tell you something in case Katie doesn't make it." He said, voice barely above a whisper. Terrance nodded.

"What is it?" Terrance asked, running his hand through his black hair. Harry took a deep breath before he spoke.

"Adaley's called me daddy a few time recently and she's also told me that she loves me." Harry told him and Terrance thought for a moment before responding.

"Good." He responded and Harry gave him a funny look.

"Good? Why do you say that?" Harry asked with an eyebrow raised. Terrance smiled.

"She's already adopted the idea of you being a father figure so it'll make the possible transition even easier." Terrance explained and Harry nodded understandingly.

"Since Ada will be staying with me until Katie is better I've decided to turn one of my spare rooms into her bedroom. Niall and I are taking her shopping when I leave here. I'm letting her pick out whatever she wants. Paint color, furniture, everything." Harry said, standing up and stretching slightly. Terrance nodded and stood up.

"Thank you for everything, Harry. You don't know how much we appreciate it." Terrance told him softly and Harry gave him a soft smile. Terrance walked around the bed and pulled Harry into a tight hug, crying softly into his neck. Harry gently rubbed the crying man's back and hugged him tightly.

"You don't have to thank me. I'd do anything for my family." Harry murmured and Terrance pulled back and gave him a watery smile. They said their goodbyes and Harry gave him one last hug before walking out of the hospital and into the SUV that brought him to the hospital. He smiled slightly at Paul who was driving.

"How are you?" Paul asked softly and Harry sighed, watching the scenery fly past.

"I'm scared and hurting but I'm happy." Harry murmured and looked over at Paul. "I can't shake this bad feeling I have in my stomach. I just can feel that something's going to happen." Paul nodded as he listened and put a comforting hand on Harry's knee.

"Don't think about it too much. Enjoy your time with that little girl and your friends. Nothing matters besides them right now." Paul advised and Harry sighed heavily before nodding.

"I will. Thank you Paul." He said softly and climbed out as they pulled up in front of his apartment. He walked into the front door and smiled. He could hear Adaley and Niall talking in the living room.

"Niaaaaallllll!" Adaley whined and Harry suppressed a laugh.

"You can't have anymore or Harry'll kill me!" Niall told her and he heard the little girl stomping her foot.

"I'm home!" Harry shouted, pretending that he just arrived.

"Daddy!" Adaley squealed and ran out, throwing herself into Harry's awaiting arms. He hugged her tighter as his heart jumped at her words. Niall walked in and leaned against the wall, smiling at the two of them. Harry picked the little girl up and kissed her cheek.

"So what did you guys do while I was gone?" He asked as he carried her into the living room. He plopped down on the couch with her on his lap. She cuddled into his chest and played with the collar of his shirt.

"We watched movies and ate lots of ice cream!" she said and Harry shot Niall a look who gave him a sheepish smile.

"That sounds like fun. Did you behave?" Harry asked as he shut off the movie they were currently watching. Adaley nodded and turned to glare at him.

"Why did you turn my movie off?" She asked, pouting deeply. Harry chuckled and poked her nose. She giggled and gently played with his long hair.

"I need to ask you a question." He hummed and shot Niall a wink who gave Harry a knowing smile. Adaley cocked her head to the side.

"Yeah?" She hummed and Harry smirked.

"How would you like to go shopping for your room here?" he asked and Adaley gave him a huge smile.

"Really?" She asked excitedly and Harry nodded.

"Really." He hummed and Adaley jumped off his lap.

"Then let's go!" she cheered and her eagerness caused both boys to burst into fits of laughter.