Chapter Nine

(I'm sorry. I know I've been a bad person but I've had a lot of issues going on but I'm back now... I think)

Harry's jaw dropped as he stared at the girl in front of him in utter shock. "Y-y-y-you have a k-k-k-kid?" he choked out as she stood up and slid her phone back in her pocket. Katie nodded.

"Yeah. She's the light of my life." she hummed as she grabbed her jacket from the chair. She looked expectantly at Harry. "Well... Are you coming or are you just going to sit here like a big oaf all day?" Harry shook his head and stood up, silently following her into the SUV. She softly mumbled the address to her brother's apartment building. They sat in silence as the car hummed through the busy streets of the city. Harry tried to process the fact that not only had he brought Katie into this but he also brought her little girl into it. He bit his lip as they pulled up in front of the building. Katie climbed out silently and Harry followed behind her like a zombie. To say things were awkward is an understatement. Harry cleared his throat.

"S-so. What's her name?" he murmured softly. Katie sighed as she unlocked the door and spoke softly to the babysitter.

"Thanks for calling me about her, Rose. How is she?" she asked softly. The small, soft spoken girl with the bright pink hair and tattoos covering her arms smiled softly.

"She's doing better. She's stopped crying but she's still sniffling. Normally I wouldn't call you but I figured that this one was a different story. She kept crying about Terrance, you, and Gammy. I think she had a nightmare and when she woke up and you weren't there it made it all the more real." Rose said softly and opened the door wider. There on the couch sat a girl no more than three years old. Her cheeks were puffy and there was a small stuffed animal clutched in her grasp. When she heard her mother's voice her head whipped towards the door. She jumped up and ran towards them, only falling down twice. Katie lifted her up and hugged her tightly to her chest.

"Thank you Rose. I'll pay you for a full day." She whispered as Rose walked through the door. Harry stood there awkwardly as the small child clung tightly to Katie, soaking her shirt with tears. "Harry, you can come in. Just make yourself at home. I'm sorry it's such a mess." She mumbled as she sat down, cuddling the girl tightly. She whispered a few words and the small child sniffled and nodded. Harry sat down silently beside her and licked his lips, looking around.

"So... What's her name?" he asked softly, looking at the small girl who was staring at him curiously. Katie laughed softly at the child's curiosity and sat her down between them.

"Her name is Adaley Jaylyn Cane. She's almost four." She explained as Adaley climbed onto Harry's lap and started tugging at his hair. He winced but smiled down at the small girl. "I had her when I was fifteen. My parents kicked me out so Terrance took me in and we've been living with him ever since."

"What about her father? Where's he?" Harry asked as he poked Adaley's nose, making her giggle and repeat his actions back to him. He saw Katie's stiffen out of the corner of his eye.

"He's not in the picture." She said quickly and picked Adaley up. "C'mon princess. We need to get you some breakfast." Adaley shook her head and pointed at Harry.

"Who's that, Mommy?" she asked as she studied the boy with long hair and lanky arms. Katie sighed and sat Adaley down. The little girl ran over to Harry and studied him carefully. Harry chuckled softly and looked down at her.

"My name's Harry." He said with a kind smile, letting the little girl climb up into his lap.

"Are you and my mommy together?" She asked innocently, causing her mother to grimace. Harry cleared his throat and thought for a moment.

"We're best friends that people think are dating. See the thing is that I'm part of a huge band and I need someone to be my friend and that's where your mom came in." He explained in the most simple way possible. Katie laughed softly and ruffled Harry's long hair.

"And plus he's like Uncle Terr. He likes boys instead of girls." She hummed and Adaley nodded understandingly. She kissed Harry's cheek before she raced off to the kitchen. Katie soon followed behind her. Harry dropped his head into his hands.

What the hell have I just done?