Chapter Twenty-Four

When the girls arrived home Anne noticed how quiet it was. Normally when Harry came home and Anne had to leave she'd find him passed out on the couch with the TV on some silly sitcom. She moved slowly around the first floor of the small house, frown deepening when she couldn't find Harry. Gemma walked up to her mother and noticed the perplexed look.

"What's wrong?" Gemma asked softly and Anne thought for a moment before responding.

"Something seems off. Harry's usually on the couch watching TV when I get back from running an errand." She whispered and looked behind Gemma to find Katie and Adaley both enthralled with the pictures on the hallway wall. Anne looked back at her eldest and sighed. "Will you go check Harry's room?" she asked and Gemma frowned.

"Every part?" she asked, chewing on her lip. Anne nodded and Gemma did as she was told, walking up the stairs and straight into Harry's room. When she saw the closet door open she immediately knew. She walked in and opened the door, heart shattering when she saw Harry curled up asleep on the floor. She kneeled down and gently shook his arm. He groaned softly and peeled his eyes open. He saw his sister with a sad look on her face and he sat up quickly, banging his head on the ceiling.

"What the hell are you doing in here? You know the rules. No one is allowed in here!" he shouted and Gemma let out a heavy sigh before backing out of the small room. Harry followed her and slammed the door shut, glaring at her.

"Mum was worried about you." Gemma told him and Harry furiously yanked off his shirt, replacing it with a clean one and a hoody.

"Well if she's still worried about me tell her I went for a walk." He snapped and stormed out his room. Moments later Gemma flinched when she heard the door slam. She walked downstairs to find her mother looking at the door sadly.

"Harry's just going for a walk. He'll be back by supper." Gemma mumbled and took her bags, making her way upstairs. Katie followed Gemma with her eyes before she looked back at the front door.

"Maybe I should go after him." She said softly and started for the door but Anne's hand stopped her. Katie looked over at her with a frown.

"Let Harry have a little time to himself. He's had a rough past few months and he really hasn't had time to let everything process." Anne said gently and Katie nodded, following Anne to the kitchen. Adaley climbed up onto the chair next to Anne and gave the older woman a sad smile.

"Nonna, can we make dinner together?" Adaley asked softly and Anne nodded. "You, me, Aunt Gems, and Mommy?" she asked and Anne laughed softly.

"Go get Gemma and get washed up. We'll make Harry's favourite, yeah?" Anne asked and Adaley nodded happily, rushing up the stairs at lightning speed. Katie laughed softly and stood up, following Anne to the sink.

"Thank you for letting us stay here." Katie said and Anne gave her a smile.

"Don't worry about it. I've missed having children running around my house and lighting everything up with their laughs. Oh! And I got something for Adaley." She said and disappeared out of the kitchen. Moments later she walked in holding a small apron in one hand and a full sized in the other. Katie raised an eyebrow.

"What's that?" she asked as she dried her hands and Anne smiled widely. She put the full sized apron on and it read 'Nonna'. She held the other one up and it read 'Nonna's helper'. Katie grinned.

"I figured this was Adaley was less likely to get all sets of her clothes dirty." Anne said with a shrug and was surprised when Katie enveloped her in a hug.

"Thank you so much Anne. For everything." Katie whispered and Anne gently rubbed the girl's back. When the pulled away Anne wiped away a few tears that had run down Katie's face.

"What are you thanking me for?" Anne asked softly as she gently stroked Katie's cheek.

"Adaley's never had grandparents. My parents refuse to acknowledge her existence so for her entire life the only family she's known is Terrance and I. Now she not only has four uncles but she has an aunt and grandparents. I can never repay you for the love and kindness that you're showing us." Katie said softly and Anne gave her a small smile.

"Although Harry is completely in love with Louis he loves you as well. My son has a very large heart. He loves you and Adaley in a very protective sense. I think to Harry you're like family and when it comes to his family Harry is very protective." Anne explained and Katie nodded slightly. "And anyone that Harry loves is instantly welcomed with open arms into our family." She finished and gently kissed Katie's forehead. Katie gave her a small smile and turned towards when she heard her daughter's footsteps. Adaley appeared in the doorway with a tired looking Gemma behind her.

"The team is here Nonna! Let's get cookin'!" Adaley said excitedly and put on the apron that Anne held out for her. All the girls smiled fondly at the little girl in front of them as they started preparing.

Harry sat at a bench about two miles from his home with his head in his hands. He knew he shouldn't have snapped at Gemma but he couldn't help it. He was so emotionally drained that he couldn't think straight. He sighed as he looked up at the sky, noticing the darkness that started to take over the once bright blue sky. He looked down at his phone and realized he'd been gone for several hours. He stood up and stretched his longs limbs, slowly trudging back towards his home. As he walked he took in the village around him. He remembered playing in the park with his mates when the weather allowed it. He walked along the street, amazed that no one had come up to him. He also had to remind himself that no one knew he was in Holmes Chapel. As far as he knew they all thought he was still in LA with everyone else. When he walked through the door of his childhood home he was instantly knocked back into the door by a pair of arms wrapping around his legs. He looked down and saw a sniffling Adaley clinging to him. He lifted her up and she buried her face into his neck.

"What's wrong princess?" he asked as he rubbed her back with his free hand. He heard Adaley sniffle before she responded.

"You were gone for a long time, Mr. Harry. I was scared you got hurt or you left us." She cried softly and Harry hugged her tightly.

"I'm fine, love." He whispered and choked up. "I promise I'm fine and I would never leave you girls. Ever." He told her and she nodded, still refusing to let go of him. He walked into the kitchen and Anne gave him a small smile.

"We made dinner for everyone." She said softly and Harry nodded, sitting at the table with Adaley in his lap. She looked up from his neck and gave him a tiny smile.

"We made your favourite." The little girl whispered and Harry gave her a warm smile.

"Well let's eat then!" he said happily and the entire family gathered around the table, Adaley refusing to leave Harry's side. As they ate no one mentioned the fact that Harry had went MIA for hours or the fact that something had happened while he was gone. When the finished Gemma and Harry offered to do the dishes. Adaley finally left Harry's side with a sad look. When Gemma was alone with Harry she hugged her younger brother tightly. Harry hugged her back and buried his face into her hair.

"I'm so glad you're okay." She whispered and Harry felt a tear roll down his cheek.

"I'm so sorry I yelled at you today." He murmured against her head and she laughed softly.

"It's not the first time." She said softly and oulled away, looking deep into his eyes. He gave her a confused look.

"What? Do I have something on my face?" he asked, quickly wiping at his face. Gemma shook her head before speaking.

"We're still having our campfire." She told him before starting on the dishes. Harry grimaced behind her back.

'Well shit.'