Chapter Sixteen

"And then I met Adaley's father and everything changed..."

Katie sighed. "His name was Ryan and he was the star football player. Everyone at school loved him. I used to think that the world revolved around him. One day I was getting harassed by the football players because my brother was openly gay in school. No one would touch him but when he wasn't around they would harass me. They kept saying that I was gonna end up a queer just like him. Well Ryan came up and put a stop to everything. After he made sure I was alright he offered to walk me home cuz I didn't live too far. Being the love-struck girl I was, I accepted. On the walk everything was great. We bonded and to shorten part of the story we started dating. Ryan was my first boyfriend and first kiss. Everything was great until football season was over. Everyone knew that Ryan had a bit of a temper and there were rumors that he hit his last girlfriend. I didn't believe any of it." She took a deep breath, hands shaking slightly. Harry placed a band over hers.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." He said gently and she shook her head.

"I need to talk about this. Only a handful of people know and that's mostly police and lawyers. Terrance is the only non-official person that knows." She said softly and Harry nodded.

"Continue when you're ready." He gently told her and she nodded. After a few more breaths she was ready to continue.

"I should've though. After football season was over Ryan's anger started to get worse. First he was just breaking vases and such. Eventually he hit me. Before I could even touch where he slapped me he was kissing me and telling me how sorry he was. I, of course, forgave him. I was in love. It progressively got worse. My parents didn't notice but Terrance did. Whenever he asked I would always tell him that I walked into something or got hit in gym. The usual excuses. He always told me that he was going to get help and that when he was all better he would propose to me and we would get married. I was stupid for believing him. One day Terrance was walking by my room when he heard me screaming and crying. Ryan and I both thought we were alone. Terrance didn't even knock. He crashed through the door and Ryan and he started to fight but it was too late. That day the most important person in my life was created but not by my consent. I eventually called the police and Ryan was put away. He got out for good behavior and on Adaley's fourth birthday Ryan showed up. The first and only memory that Adaley has of her father is of him attacking her uncle then being dragged away by the police." She finished, her voice cracking. "Part of me will always love Ryan because he was my first love and he gave me Adaley but in all honesty I feel sorry for him." Harry nodded and gently kissed her head.

"So do I. He's missing out on not only you but also that beautiful little girl." He said softly and Katie nodded, wiping her eyes and sniffling slightly.

"Ryan could've been a great man but he didn't get the help he needed desperately. It's a shame." She said softly and fiddled with the necklace.

"What did your parents say?" he asked gently, not wanting to upset her even more. Katie snorted and rolled her eyes.

"When they found out I was pregnant they kicked me out. It didn't matter to them that it was against my will. They told me that I would be allowed to stay if I had an abortion. I refused so out on the street I went. By the time Terrance found out what they had done he was 19. He got all the paperwork started and he ended up adopting me. He's helped me raise Adaley since she was an infant. When I had school he stayed home with her. He's the closest thing she has to a father figure." She said fondly and stood up, stretching her back and Harry stood up with her. "Well after that lovely story I'm gonna head to bed. Feel free to stay here if you want." She offered and wrapped her arms around his middle. "Thank you for listening Harry. You're the best best friend any girl could ask for." Harry smiled softly and hugged her tightly, resting his cheek on the top of her head.

"I'll always be here to listen and help with whatever I can. Even if I'm across the world and we're not 'dating' anymore you can still call me no matter what." He murmured and kissed the top of her head. She sighed and pulled away. She bid him one last goodnight before she disappeared into her room, shutting the door behind her. Harry sighed and dragged his hand through his hair. He picked up his phone and dialed Liam as he walked out of the apartment, shutting and locking the door behind him.

"Hello?" Liam answered, muffling a yawn. Harry walked down the pitch black street, kicking stones as he went.

"Sorry to wake you Li. I was gonna ask you about the interview tomorrow. When is it?" Harry asked softly, sticking the key into his apartment door. He'd sped walk the way home. He knew that he should've called someone to get him but he needed the air.

"It's tomorrow morning. We're also preforming DMD. Thank god Zayn had us make a copy without him." Liam said softly and cleared his throat. "If you want you can bring Katie and her daughter tomorrow. I'm pretty sure Lou is bringing Briana." Harry stiffened at their names.

"I'll talk to her about it. Thanks." Harry mumbled and hung up. He sent a quick text to Katie.

Would you and Adaley like to come to the interview tomorrow? We're preforming and she's gonna be there.

Harry climbed into his huge bed and sighed. His phone dinged a few moments later.

We wouldn't miss it for the world. See you in the morning, boyfriend. ;)

Harry chuckled at her text and shook his head. He couldn't help but think of how interesting tomorrow would be as he slowly drifted off; Louis, Briana, and Katie filling his mind.