38 ~

~ Ten years later ~ September 5, 1963

 Elodie was now fifteen years old and it was her first day in high school. Daniel, during the past ten years, had made enough money to quit the music job. Well, he was still writing but for other bands and artists so he was almost always home. We never lost contact neither with Woody, nor Kyle, Will nor everyone else. We were just not seeing each other as often as before but we were all still very close when we did. I felt happy with my life and I felt complete, as if everything was here as it had to be, as if nothing was missing. Dan and Mia had left the house some years ago and this was a difficult step to go through. But I had to accept it; my children weren't babies anymore. Mia quickly found a job as a journalist and Dan was studying hard to become a doctor. I felt extremely proud of them both even though I felt slightly protective when Mia introduced her girlfriend to us, Sonia. She never told us about her sexual orientation and so it was quite a surprise at first. It pained me a little when she confessed that she was afraid we wouldn't accept it, Daniel and I weren't that way. The only thing I hoped was that they were going to live happy together. Sonia was such a good person too, she worked at the hospital as a paediatric nurse.

On another side, Dan never told us anything about being in a relationship, so we assumed that he probably preferred to concentrate on his studies instead of being concerned about being with someone, we respected that and even thought it was maybe better for him.

Daniel decided he was going to be the one driving our daughter to school even though I obviously came with them. She had a hard time getting up and it looked strangely familiar, not because Mia used to to the same but also because I was seeing myself at her age having to get ready for school. I chuckled at the thought and so did Daniel. "She's exactly like you." he told me in the car while we were waiting for Elodie. I laughed and pretended to be offended. "What do you mean?! I never ever complained about getting up early." I said in a sarcastic tone, making him giggle. Elodie finally walked outside of the house and closed the door behind her, looking extremely tired and upset for going to school. She took a seat behind and I turned around to see her. "Smile?" I asked and she faked one, annoyed. I shook my head and laughed. "Teenagers." I muttered dramatically and Daniel drove on after agreeing with me. I turned around once again only to see Elodie sincerely smile just before she blurted out "You guys are such a bunch of children." 

I smiled and looked at Daniel, who was also grinning. I guess she was right. Despite our age, we never really acted like adults.