3 ~

1946, October 11

My parents had taken an appointment to the doctor for my hearing problem. I wasn't sure what they had in mind, but I still went and both of them also came. On the road and in the waiting room, they were smiling the whole time, feeding my curiosity. They said they had a surprise for me.

I asked Kyle if he could keep Mia and Dan while I was out, which he gladly accepted. I rarely talked to Chris and I just said to Chrissy that we had a big argument. Nothing more. Since she didn't ask anything, I guessed that he had told her the same thing.

My mother took my arm and stood up with me. "It's our turn." she smiled. We walked into the doctor's office and he invited us to sit down. I sat in the middle and he started talking to my parents. Of course, I couldn't hear a word and he was talking too fast for me to read on his lips. I gave up on trying to understand him. Is he also hiding something from me ?

I crossed my arms, waiting for someone to explain to me why I came here. The doctor looked at me and smiled. He put a paper on his desk, in front of me. I looked at my mother who nodded, encouraging me to read it. And so did I. It was a prototype of a hearing aid and it explained how to use it. I looked up at the doctor. Excited. Then at my mother, my father. I must've looked like a child at Christmas discovering his presents. My mother placed her hand on my shoulder and she asked if I wanted it. I nodded.  

The doctor clapped his hands, looking satisfied. Having the possibility to hear again. It felt like a dream. I hugged my parents and even the doctor. He discussed a bit with them, probably about the cost of the hearing aid, while I was almost jumping everywhere.

A week later and I had received it. I was really scared of using it, though. I had been living in silence for years and so I had became used to it. But I terribly missed being able to hear... hear my children.