6 ~

We stayed together even until the sun was way up in the sky. We talked for hours about the last years we had been through. I told him everything about my handicap, how I unfortunately became deaf to when my parents had the kindness to offer me the possibility of hearing again. He spoke about his life in the farm, how he helped the old couple for everything, how generous they had been with him. He never mentioned his life in the army, though, and I respected that. I didn't want to push him too much. He had just arrived and was only recovering about the horrors of what he must've seen back there.

We laughed about all the letters he had sent, how I struggled to find the place where it was hidden. That I was gaining enough money because of the books I had published, enough money to raise our children on my own. As I talked, the conversation got deeper. I reluctantly told him about my serious depression, my weight loss, how I locked myself from the rest of the world to sink into darkness. He looked at me with pity and I reassured him. "I'm doing a lot better now. I've learnt how to appreciate every second of this life. It's also because of Dan and Mia, you know." I smiled "They've been so helpful. Dan looks so much like you... I can't wait for you to see them."

Daniel smiled and imagined them, running in the garden together and playing at hide and seek.

I intensely looked at him, every features of his angelic face. He looked a bit older, but he was still the same person who left years ago. I was surprised he had not became mad, crazy. I heard that a lot of people who came back from war had serious psychological damages, if not physical or both. He was just the exact same as I remembered him. Blushing at every compliments I would make, using sarcasm everytime he could. The same man I had fallen in love with at seven teen years old was sitting next to me, and I was still falling in love with him like at the first day.

"Scarlett?" he quietly asked. "I think we should get married." he said, looking straight into my eyes and hoping I would agree.

"Daniel. Of course. I've been waiting to marry you since the day you proposed."

He pulled a huge smile and approached me. He gently pushed my shoulder to lay on top of me. He placed warm kisses on my neck and moved until he had reached my lips to tenderly embrace me till he had lost his breathe. He broke the kiss and we stared at each other for a long minute, not moving an eyelash so we could only enjoy the pleasure of being able to look into each others eyes, into each others soul. He continued on kissing me, this time harder and with passion flowing into him which was reflected by the way he moved his lips on mine, the way he made his way into my mouth and caressed my neck at the same time, sending electricity through my whole body. And we carried on for the next thirty minutes in the same position, kissing each other under the tree's shadow and on the cold grass, whispering "I love you" in a breathe between many kisses.