22 ~

Dark clouds invited themselves, and so did the rain, to my mother's funeral; as if the ambience wasn't already gloomy. I stood next between my father and Daniel and neither of us made a single sound. My silent tears mixed themselves with the water drops as the rain violently fell on my face.

The graveyard was crowded but no one talked, respecting my mother's ceremony. But my father was the first one supposed to talk: He slowly walked in front of her coffin and made his speech with a shaking voice. He spoke for fifteen long minutes and we all listened closely. He mentioned some of their dates and of course without forgetting the way they met, it was beautiful. At the end, he placed a white rose on her coffin and said "This one is for your innocence and the purity of my feelings towards you, your eternal fidelity." then, he took a red rose and place it next to the white one. "And this one is for the Love that connected us until the end and beyond. May your soul rest in peace... I love you, good bye." He finished and looked at us for a moment. Daniel squeezed my hand and I looked down, closing my eyes. It was my turn. My speech didn't last as long as my father's but basically, I thanked her for everything and for raising me in the most right way, something that I understood only recently. I said goodbye and walked to where I was originally standing.

The funeral was as long as painful. After they buried her, everyone made their condolences and said how sorry they were for our lost. We politely thanked them all and it was finally over. Everyone left but my father was the last one standing in front of her grave, holding his hat in his hands so the rain was falling straight on his head. I left Daniel with the kids in the car and joined him.

"Dad? It's time to go." I placed my hand on his shoulder, concerned.

"Can't leave her... can't let her go..." he stuttered.

It pained me, seeing him this way. The worst thing was : I knew how he felt and how bad it hurt. Unfortunately, only time can ease the pain even if never fully.

I took his arm and led him to the car. He sat in the back with Mia and Dan; I had to carry Elodie in my arms as Daniel drove us home. I was a little bit scared of letting my father alone so I invited him to stay with us for a moment. At first, he disagreed, telling me he wasn't a child and could perfectly live by himself. I made him realize it wasn't that of a good idea and he understood.

_

I made his bed in the guest's room and made the bedroom comfortable. He thanked me and I hugged him, saying it was completely normal from his daughter to help him.

He believed Elodie was my mother's reincarnation since she came into life just after my mum died. I didn't believe in these sort of things but nodded to his theory.

This night, a single star shined in the sky. I wanted to believe it was my mother, watching over us.